Fukui City (or Fukui-shi; 福井市,) is the capital city of Fukui prefecture in Japan. It became a core city of Japan in 2019.  As of July 2020, there are 262,245 people living there. The land area is 275,381,842 square kilometers (1 October 2018).
Because Fukui prefecture is famous for dinosaurs, there are monuments of dinosaurs in front of JR Fukui station in the downtown of Fukui-shi. In addition, the building that is called "happiring" was built as part of city planning near the station. There are 186 cultural properties which include historical material, architectures, works of art, ethnic sites, scenic beauties, and cultural landscape.
Fukui City (Fukui-jo) was built by Shibata Katsuie as a castle town in 1575. It was destroyed by far because of the war with Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Yuki (Matsudaira) Hideyasu later rebuilt the castle.
Fukui City was called Fukui-han from 1600 to 1871. In the late Edo period, before the Meiji Restoration (1868), the historical figures were active; The representative names are Matsudaira Shungaku, Hashimoto Sanai, Kusakabe Taro, and W.E.Griffis. They have contributed to Fukui City and Japan.
People in Fukui City have rebuilt the town. However, an earthquake (Fukui-jishin) destroyed the city on 8 July 1948.The number of victims is 3,858 people. With the support from the Japanese government and other prefectures, Fukui City has been rebuilt within one year.
In 2018, Fukui city was hit by heavy snow (Fukui-gosetsu). The city overcame this disaster by asking many groups such as self-defense forces for help. In the same year, Fukui city was chosen as a core city because of change in the law. Thanks to it, Fukui city has been able to provide high quality service to citizen.
- Matsudaira Shungaku (1828~1890) was 16th Lord in Fukui-han. He reformed Fukui-han actively, for example, he made local industry in Fukui-han became famous then he cut the money which Fukui-han borrowed from other place . He built 明道館 (meido-kan) as a school which students can learn studies in Europe. He worked in Japanese government on a high position. He is known as the first man who bring a tree of apple to Japan. 
- Hashimoto Sanai (1834~1859) was born as a son of doctor in Fukui-han. He learned medical studies and Dutch studies. He wrote 啓発録 (keihatsu-roku) when he was 15. It is still read by children in Fukui city. He had advanced way of thinking future. In 1859, he criticized the Tokugawa shogunate, then he was killed by it.
- Yuri Kimimasa (1829~1909) was born as first son of samurai in Fukui-han. He worked hard to rebuilt financial problem of Fukui-han. He made the original idea of the restoration of imperial rule (大政奉還, taiseihokan). Because he was good at working out financial problem, he got a high position of Japanese government. After that, he became a governor of Tokyo.
- William Elliot Griffith (1843~1928) was a pastor and teacher from Philadelphia in the US. He was invited as a teacher in Fukui-han and worked there for about a year. He made a basis of education in Fukui. In his book, Mikado's Empire which he introduced Japanese history and culture, he wrote about Fukui in chapter 2, and introduced it to people in the world.
- Kusakabe Taro (1845~1870) was the first student of Fukui-han who studied in the US. When he was 23, he has started to study in Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey and had a help from W.E.Griffith who was the student of the university to study in there. While he was studying in Rutgers university, he got disease. Then he died before he graduate. Because he had high score in the university, he was given a gold key.
- "中核市福井市が誕生、県の業務移管". 福井新聞 ONLINE. 2 April 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "福井市人口統計 | 福井市ホームページ". www.city.fukui.lg.jp. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "市域の変遷" (PDF). Fukui City. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "事業所数・従業者数" (PDF). Fukui City. 11 March 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "福井市内の文化財". Fukui City. 8 July 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "図説福井県史". Fukui Prefectural Archives. 7 July 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "福井県史 年表". Fukui Prefectural Archcives. 7 July 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "調べ学習のためのページ". Fukui City History Museum. 7 July 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "図説福井県史 23敦賀・福井空襲（1）". Fukui prefectural Archives. 7 July 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- 服部, 勇 (1995). "資料に見る福井大震災の概要" (PDF). 福井大学積雪研究紀要「日本海地域の自然と環境」: pp.76, 78, 79.CS1 maint: extra text (link)
- "調べ学習のためのページ 松平春嶽". 福井市郷土歴史博物館.
- "日下部太郎とウィリアム・グリフィス". 日下部・グリフィス学術・文化交流基金. Retrieved 22 August 2020.
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Fukui.|