Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás
|Born||16 December 1863|
|Died||26 September 1952|
|Era||20th century philosophy|
|Lucretian materialism, skepticism, natural aristocracy, The Realms of Being|
Santayana is known for his sayings,
He earned a Ph.D. at Harvard in 1889. He also studied in Berlin and Cambridge.
Santayana influenced many others, including Bertrand Russell.
- This list is not finished; you can help Wikipedia by adding to it.
- 1905–1906. The Life of Reason: Or, The Phases of Human Progress, 5 vols. Available free online from Project Gutenberg. 1998. 1 vol. abridgement by the author and Daniel Cory. Prometheus Books.
- 1910. Three Philosophical Poets: Lucretius, Dante, and Goethe.
- 1913. Winds of Doctrine: Studies in Contemporary Opinion.
- 1915. Egotism in German Philosophy.
- 1920. Character and Opinion in the United States: With Reminiscences of William James and Josiah Royce and Academic Life in America.
- 1920. Little Essays, Drawn From the Writings of George Santayana by Logan Pearsall Smith, With the Collaboration of the Author.
- 1922. Soliloquies in England and Later Soliloquies.
- 1923. Scepticism and Animal Faith: Introduction to a System of Philosophy.
- 1927. Platonism and the Spiritual Life.
- 1927–40. The Realms of Being, 4 vols. 1942. 1 vol.
- 1931. The Genteel Tradition at Bay.
- 1933. Some Turns of Thought in Modern Philosophy: Five Essays.
- 1936. Obiter Scripta: Lectures, Essays and Reviews. Justus Buchler and Benjamin Schwartz, eds.
- 1946. The Idea of Christ in the Gospels; or, God in Man: A Critical Essay.
- 1948. Dialogues in Limbo, With Three New Dialogues.
- 1951. Dominations and Powers: Reflections on Liberty, Society, and Government.
- 1955. The Letters of George Santayana. Daniel Cory, ed. Charles Scribner's Sons. New York. (296 letters)
- 1956. Essays in Literary Criticism of George Santayana. Irving Singer, ed.
- 1957. The Idler and His Works, and Other Essays. Daniel Cory, ed.
- 1967. The Genteel Tradition: Nine Essays by George Santayana. Douglas L. Wilson, ed.
- 1967. George Santayana's America: Essays on Literature and Culture. James Ballowe, ed.
- 1967. Animal Faith and Spiritual Life: Previously Unpublished and Uncollected Writings by George Santayana With Critical Essays on His Thought. John Lachs, ed.
- 1968. Santayana on America: Essays, Notes, and Letters on American Life, Literature, and Philosophy. Richard Colton Lyon, ed.
- 1968. Selected Critical Writings of George Santayana, 2 vols. Norman Henfrey, ed.
- 1969. Physical Order and Moral Liberty: Previously Unpublished Essays of George Santayana. John and Shirley Lachs, eds.
- 1979. The Complete Poems of George Santayana: A Critical Edition. Edited, with an introduction, by W. G. Holzberger. Bucknell University Press.
- 1995. The Birth of Reason and Other Essays. Daniel Cory, ed., with an Introduction by Herman J. Saatkamp, Jr. Columbia Univ. Press.
- 2009. The Essential Santayana. Selected Writings Edited by the Santayana Edition, Compiled and with an introduction by Martin A. Coleman. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
Media related to George Santayana at Wikimedia Commons