Joseph Graham "Gray" Davis, Jr. (born December 26, 1942) is an American retired politician and attorney.
|37th Governor of California|
January 4, 1999 – November 17, 2003
|Preceded by||Pete Wilson|
|Succeeded by||Arnold Schwarzenegger|
|44th Lieutenant Governor of California|
January 2, 1995 – January 4, 1999
|Preceded by||Leo T. McCarthy|
|Succeeded by||Cruz Bustamante|
|Controller of California|
January 5, 1987 – January 2, 1995
|Preceded by||Kenneth Cory|
|Succeeded by||Kathleen Connell|
|Member of the California State Assembly|
from the 43rd district
|Preceded by||Howard Berman|
|Succeeded by||Terry Friedman|
|Chief of Staff to the Governor of California|
|Preceded by||Edwin Meese|
|Succeeded by||B. T. Collins|
Joseph Graham Davis Jr.
December 26, 1942
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Sharon Ryer (1980–present)|
|Education||Stanford University (BA)|
Columbia University (JD)
|Branch/service||United States Army|
|Years of service||1967–1969|
Davis served as the 37th Governor of California from 1999 to 2003. He was a member of the Democratic Party, only months into his second term, in 2003 Davis was recalled and removed from office, the second state governor successfully recalled in U.S. history.
Before serving as governor, Davis was chief of staff to Governor Jerry Brown (1975–81), a California State Assemblyman (1983–87), California State Controller (1987–95) and the 44th Lieutenant Governor of California (1995–99).
- Salladay, Robert. State of Transition: End of the Davis era, Tempered temperament led state. The San Francisco Chronicle. Wednesday, November 12, 2003. Retrieved August 22, 2007.
- Gray Davis Digital Library (active web site, launched 2006)
- Gray Davis on IMDb
- "Interview With California Governor Gray Davis, Wife Sharon Davis (CNN Larry King Live, 05 October 2003)". Archived from the original on August 29, 2014. Retrieved August 14, 2010.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Department of Energy article on Davis' energy conservation efforts
- Davis Appearances on C-SPAN