Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes
Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes is a 1984 British movie. It was directed by Hugh Hudson. It was based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' novel Tarzan of the Apes (1912). Christopher Lambert stars as Tarzan (though the name Tarzan is never used in the film's dialogue) and Andie MacDowell as Jane. The cast also includes Sir Ralph Richardson, Ian Holm, James Fox, Cheryl Campbell, and Ian Charleson.
The movie received Academy Award nominations for "Best Supporting Actor" (Richardson), "Best Adapted Screenplay" and "Best Makeup".
- Christopher Lambert - John Clayton / Tarzan
- Tali McGregor - Infant Tarzan
- Peter Kyriakou - One Year Old Tarzan
- Danny Potts - Five Year Old Tarzan
- Eric Langlois - Twelve Year Old Tarzan
- Ralph Richardson - Earl of Greystoke
- Ian Holm - Capitain Philippe D'Arnot
- James Fox - Lord Charles Esker
- Andie MacDowell - Jane Porter
- Glenn Close - Jane Porter (voice, uncredited)
- Cheryl Campbell - Lady Alice Clayton
- Ian Charleson - Jeffson Brown
- Nigel Davenport - Major Jack Downing
- Nicholas Farrell - Sir Hugh Belcher
- Paul Geoffrey - Lord John 'Jack' Clayton
- Richard Griffiths - Capitain Billings
- Hilton McRae - Willy
- David Suchet - Buller
- John Wells - Sir Evelyn Blount
- Paul Brooke - Rev. Stimson
The movie received a mixed-to-postitive reaction, scoring a 60% "Fresh" Rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It scored lower with audiences with a score of 53%.