Hard Again is a album by Muddy Waters. It was produced by Johnny Winter who also played guitar. The record was his first for Blue Sky Records. It was also the first studio album after he left Chess Records
|Studio album by|
|Released||10 January 1977|
|Muddy Waters chronology|
The recordings lasted three days. For the recordings Muddy used his then current touring band of guitarist Bob Margolin, pianist Pinetop Perkins, and drummer Willie "Big Eyes" Smith. James Cotton played harmonica and Charles Calmeses the bass.
Three of the songs on the album – "Mannish Boy", "I Want to Be Loved", and "I Can't Be Satisfied" – were re-recordings of songs for Chess Records. One of the songs recorded, "The Blues Had a Baby and They Named It Rock and Roll, Pt. 2", was co-written by Brownie McGhee and another song, "Bus Driver", was co-written by T. Abrahamson.
The album has been well received by several critics. Dan Oppenheimer of Rolling Stone magazine said that "Mannish Boy" sounded like it was recorded live while both Oppenheimer and Daniel Gioffre of Allmusic state how powerful Willie "Big Eyes" Smith's drumming is. Oppenheimer, Gioffre, and Robert Christgau all share the opinion that Hard Again is Muddy Waters comeback album.
Charts and awardsEdit
All songs written by McKinley Morganfield, except where others are noted.
- "Mannish Boy" (Morganfield, Ellas McDaniel, Mel London) – 5:23
- "Bus Driver" (Morganfield, Terry Abrahamson) – 7:44
- "I Want to Be Loved" (Willie Dixon) – 2:20
- "Jealous Hearted Man" – 4:23
- "I Can't Be Satisfied" – 3:28
- "The Blues Had a Baby and They Named It Rock And Roll, Pt. 2" (Morganfield, Brownie McGhee) – 3:35
- "Deep Down in Florida" – 5:25
- "Crosseyed Cat" – 5:59
- "Little Girl" – 7:06
2004 bonus trackEdit
- "Walking Through the Park" – 3:55
The following people contributed to Hard Again:
- Muddy Waters – vocals, guitar
- Bob Margolin – guitar
- Pinetop Perkins – piano
- James Cotton – harmonica
- Willie "Big Eyes" Smith – drums
- Charles Calmese – bass
- Johnny Winter – guitar, producer
- Dave Still – engineer
- Andy Manganello – assistant engineer
- Joseph M. Palmaccio – mastering
- Al Quaglieri – reissue producer
- Chris Theis – mix engineer
|United States||January 10, 1977||Blue Sky Records||LP||PZ 34449|
|United Kingdom||1977||Blue Sky Records||LP||SKY 32357|
|Europe||1977||Blue Sky Records||LP||SKY 81853|
|Australia||1977||CBS Records||LP||SBP 234953|
|United States||1987||Blue Sky Records||CD||ZK 34449|
|United States||2004||Epic/Legacy Recordings||CD||EK 86817|
|Europe||2004||Epic/Legacy Recordings||CD||EPC 515161 2|
- "Hard Again - Muddy Waters - Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic.
- "Hard Again - Muddy Waters - Awards". AllMusic.