James Henry Lane (Union General)
James Henry Lane, also known as Jim Lane, (June 22, 1814 – July 11, 1866) was a partisan during the Bleeding Kansas period. It was right before the American Civil War. During the war itself, Lane was a United States Senator, and he was a general for the Union. Although reelected as a Senator during 1865, Lane committed suicide the next year.
James Henry Lane
|United States Senator |
April 4, 1861 – July 11, 1866
|Preceded by||seat established|
|Succeeded by||Edmund G. Ross|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Indiana's 4th district
March 4, 1853 – March 3, 1855
|Preceded by||Samuel W. Parker|
|Succeeded by||William Cumback|
|11th Lieutenant Governor of Indiana|
December 5, 1849 – January 10, 1853
|Governor||Joseph A. Wright|
|Preceded by||Paris C. Dunning|
|Succeeded by||Ashbel P. Willard|
|Born||June 22, 1814|
Lawrenceburg, Indiana Territory
|Died||July 11, 1866 (aged 52)|
|Democratic (before 1856)|
|Spouse(s)||Mary E. Lane|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Branch/service||United States Army|
|Years of service||1846–1848, 1861–1862|
American Civil War
On June 3, 1858, Lane shot and killed Gaius Jenkins in a land dispute in Lawrence. Reports say Jenkins was coming to get water from a well on the disputed land. Jenkins was reported to have been showing a revolver. Lane had a shotgun. One of the men with Jenkins shot Lane in the leg, and Lane shot back killing Jenkins.
Death and legacyEdit
The following places were named in honor of him:
- "James Henry Lane". NNDB. Archived from the original on September 5, 2019. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- "Shooting of Gaius Jenkins". Kansas Historical Society. Archived from the original on May 8, 2020. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- "Jim Lane Shoots Gaius Jenkins". Kansas City Public Library. Archived from the original on October 14, 2019. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- "OBITUARY.; James H. Lane, United States Senator from Kansas". The New York Times. July 4, 1866. p. 5. Retrieved June 13, 2009.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Government Printing Office. pp. 180.
- United States Congress. "James Henry Lane (id: L000061)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved on 2008-02-19
- "James Henry Lane". Find a Grave. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- James H. Lane at Territorial Kansas Online Archived 2007-12-14 at the Wayback Machine
- James H. Lane at PBS: New Perspectives on The West
- James H. Lane at Downfall Dictionary
- James H. Lane at Mr. Lincoln's White House Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Senator Jim at Bull Run