James Norris Memorial Trophy
The James Norris Memorial Trophy is given out to the National Hockey League's best "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position". The James Norris Memorial Trophy has been awarded 53 times to 22 different players since it was first created in 1954. At the end of each season, members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association vote to decide the player who was the best defenseman during the regular season.
|James Norris Memorial Trophy|
|Given for||"defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position" in the National Hockey League|
|First award||1953–54 NHL season|
|Most wins||Bobby Orr (8)|
|Most recent||Mark Giordano|
The trophy is named in honour of James E. Norris, owner of the National Hockey League's Detroit Red Wings from 1932 to 1952. The trophy was first awarded at the end of the 1953–54 NHL season.
Bobby Orr of the Boston Bruins won the award for a record eight seasons in a row (1968–75). Doug Harvey and Nicklas Lidström has won the award seven times, while Ray Bourque has won it five times during his career. The Boston Bruins have won the most Norris Trophies with 14. The Montreal Canadiens are second with 11.
There are only two players that have won both the Norris and Hart Memorial Trophy for the same season: Bobby Orr, who won both trophies for the 1969–70, 1970–71 and 1971–72 seasons, and Chris Pronger, who won the Hart and Norris for the 1999–2000 NHL season.
Seven different defensemen won the Hart Trophy before the Norris Trophy's establishment: Billy Burch, Eddie Shore (four times), Herb Gardiner, Albert "Babe" Siebert, Ebbie Goodfellow, Tommy Anderson and Babe Pratt.
The voting is done at the end of the regular season by members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, and each voter picks their top five candidates on a 10–7–5–3–1 points system. Three finalists are named and the trophy is awarded at the NHL awards ceremony after the end of the playoffs.
- James Norris Memorial Trophy history at NHL.com
- James Norris Memorial Trophy history at Legends of Hockey.net
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "James Norris Memorial Trophy history". NHL.com. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- ↑ "James Norris Memorial Trophy history". canadianencyclopedia.com. Archived from the original on 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- ↑ "Blues trade Chris Pronger to Edmonton for three players including Brewer". NHL.com. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- ↑ "Hart Memorial Trophy history". NHL.com. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- ↑ Dolezar, Jon (2003-04-20). "Foppa shows the most Hart". SI.com. Retrieved 2007-08-17.