Jamshedpur is a city of the Indian state of Jharkhand. It has the most people of any city in Jharkhand. According to the 2011 census of India, the Jamshedpur has a population of 1,337,131. The city was founded by the late Jamshedji Nusserwanji Tata. It is also called Steel City, TataNagar or simply Tata.
|• MP||Vidyutvaran Mahato|
|• Parliamentary constituency||Jamshedpur|
|• Assembly constituency||Jamshedpur East|
|• Total||149.23 km2 (57.62 sq mi)|
|Elevation||159 m (522 ft)|
|• Total||1,337,131 (UA)|
|• Density||1,404/km2 (3,640/sq mi)|
|• Official||Hindi, Santali|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||BR 16 (discontinued), JH 05|
The largest factory is that of Tata Steel. It is almost at the center of the city. Tata Steel is the largest iron and steel producing plant in India, as well as the oldest. The other major factory in the city is Tata Motors. They make heavy vehicles and construction/earth moving equipment.
Jamshedpur has a high literacy rate, close to the highest in India. The Steel City has 183 schools and 13 colleges.
List of notable people from JamshedpurEdit
- Actor R. Madhavan
- Miss India World 2000; Miss World 2000 and Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra
- Miss India Universe 2004 Top 10 Bollywood Actress Tanushree Dutta
- Imtiaz Ali, Hindi film director
- Indian national cricket team players Saurabh Tiwary and Varun Aaron.
- Arjun Munda former Chief Minister of Jharkhand
- Allama Arshadul Qaudri Author and spiritual leader