John Daniel Singleton (January 6, 1968 – April 28, 2019) was an American movie director, screenwriter, and producer. He was best known for directing Boyz n the Hood (1991). He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director, becoming the first African American and youngest person to have ever been nominated for the award. His works included Poetic Justice (1993), Higher Learning (1995), and Baby Boy (2001).
Singleton at the Canadian Film Centre event in 2013
John Daniel Singleton
January 6, 1968
|Died||April 28, 2019 (aged 51)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, producer|
(m. 1996; div. 1997)
On April 17, 2019, Singleton had a massive stroke and was hospitalized in the intensive care unit in Los Angeles. On April 25, it was reported that he was in a coma. On April 29, he was said to be on life-support, but he actually died on April 28 at the age of 51 at Cedars-Sinai Hospital.
- "John Singleton Biography (1968–)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved October 8, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "'Boyz n the Hood' Director John Singleton Accused of Sexual Harassment by Reporter Danielle Young". indiewire.com. November 6, 2017.
- "Journalist Accuses Jesse Jackson, John Singleton Of Sexual Harassment". losangeles.cbslocal.com. November 7, 2017.
- "John Singleton, 'Boyz n the Hood' director, suffers from a stroke family says". USA Today. Retrieved April 22, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Gonzales, Sandra (April 25, 2019). "Director John Singleton in coma following major stroke". CNN. Retrieved April 25, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Loughrey, Clarisse (April 29, 2019). "John Singleton: Publicist says director 'still on life support', after reports he died aged 51". The Independent. Retrieved April 29, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (April 29, 2019). "John Singleton Dies: Trailblazing 'Boyz N The Hood' Filmmaker Was 51". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 29, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Littleton, Cynthia (April 29, 2019). "'Boyz n the Hood' Director John Singleton Dies at 51". Variety – via MSN.[permanent dead link]
- "John Singleton's Death Certificate Reveals Actual Date of Death by Stroke". TMZ. May 6, 2019. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Singleton.|