Jyotirao Govindrao Phule (11 April 1827 – 28 November 1890) was an Indian social activist, thinker, anti-caste social reformer and writer. He was from Maharashtra. Phule worked in many fields. These included getting rid of untouchability and the caste system. He is also known teaching women and people in lower castes. He and his wife, Savitribai Phule, were pioneers of women's education in India. Phule started his first school for girls in 1848. It was in Pune. He formed the Satyashodhak Samaj (Society of Truth Seekers). Their goal was to get equal rights for people from lower castes. People from all religions and castes could become a part of this group. It worked to better the treatment of the oppressed classes. Phule is an important person in the social reform movement in Maharashtra. He was given the title Mahātmā (Sanskrit: "great-souled", "venerable") in 1888.
|Died||28 November 1890 (aged 63)|
|Other names||• Jyotiba Phule • Mahatma Phule|
|Alma mater||• Scottish Mission highschool, Poona (1842)|
|• Shetkaryancha Aasud • Gulamgiri|
|Ethics, humanism, education, social reformation|
- Devesh Phadke (2020-04-11). "पुरोगामी विचार समर्थपणे पुढे नेणारे महात्मा फुले" (in Marathi).
- "Remembering Jyotirao Phule: The Pioneer Of Girls' Education In India". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Mahatma Jyotirao Phule: Reformer far ahead of his time". Hindustan Times. 2019-06-27. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Remembering the pioneer of women's education in India: Contributions by Jyotirao Phule". India Today. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Savitribai Phule: The pioneer of women's education in India". The Week. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- Jill Sperandio (11 December 2018). Pioneering Education for Girls across the Globe: Advocates and Entrepreneurs, 1742-1910. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 35. ISBN 978-1-4985-2488-9.
- "Who was Jyotirao Phule?". The Indian Express. 2017-11-28. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "जोतिबा फुले 'महात्मा' कसे बनले?". BBC News मराठी (in Marathi). Retrieved 2021-11-28.
- Gavaskar, Mahesh (1999). "Phule's Critique of Brahmin Power". In Michael, S. M. (ed.). Untouchable, Dalits in Modern India. Lynne Rienner Publishers. pp. 43–56. ISBN 978-1-55587-697-5.
- Guha, Ramachandra, ed. (2011). Makers of Modern India. Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0-67405-246-8.
- Wayne, Tiffany K., ed. (2011). Feminist Writings from Ancient Times to the Modern World: A Global Sourcebook and History. ABC-CLIO. ISBN 978-0-31334-581-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jyotirao Phule.|