Keisen University (恵泉女学園大学, Keisen jogakuen daigaku) is a private women's college in Tama, Tokyo, Japan. It opened in 1988. The university is linked to the Keisen School for Young Women, founded in 1929 by Michi Kawai. Kawai was the National Secretary of the Young Women's Christian Associations of Japan. Horticulture is an important part of studying at this university for all students.
Keisen University's educational philosophy has three main values:
- Christianity: Respect for people as individuals and seeing other people without discrimination by race or class.
- International Peace Studies: Improving Japanese women's knowledge of the world, getting rid of prejudice, and facing problems.
- Horticulture: The love of nature, respect for all the living things, and learning basic morals.
Faculties and Departments Edit
Faculty of Humanities Edit
- Department of Japanese Language and Culture
- Department of English Communication
- Department of Trans-Cultural Studies
Faculty of Human and Social Studies Edit
- Department of International Social Studies
- Department of Human Life and Environment Studies
Graduate School Edit
Graduate School of Humanities-Division of Cultural Coexistence Edit
This division's main focus is on Japanese-Language education and multicultural coexistence studies. Programs include: Japanese Language Teaching and Education, Gender and Culture Studies, Minority and Culture Studies and Multicultural Communication.
Graduate School of Human and Social Studies-Division of Peace Studies Edit
The chapel offers regular services. The chapel includes a large pipe organ. Sometimes, they have chapel concerts for students and the local community.
Farm for Education Edit
There is a large farm called, "Farm for education." All first year "Freshman" students must take a horticulture class. They learn to grow vegetables and flowers on this farm.
Herb Garden Edit
Students can pick herbs and sometimes drink herbal teas in this garden. It is also a popular place for students to eat lunch.
Keisen University has educational links with these universities:
Well known people Edit
- http://read.jst.go.jp/public/cs_kkn_009EventAction.do?action1=event&kkn_code=2321001000&judge_act1=2&lang_act1=J Archived 2011-07-17 at the Wayback Machine ReaD 研究機関(詳細情報)
- "恵泉女学園大学". 恵泉女学園大学.