measured dimension of an object in a physical space
Length is a measurement. A ruler can measure length. The length of something is the distance between two ends of the thing. Short means a small length. Long means much length. Short and long are opposites. For two dimensional things, length is usually the longer side.
- A line has one size measurement. This one measurement is the length.
- A circle has diameter, the length across, and circumference, the length around.
- A rectangle has two measurements that show its size. These two measurements are the length and the width of the rectangle.
- The length and width of a square are the same.
- A box has three measurements that show its size. These three measurements are the length, the width and the depth or height of the box.
- The distance from the front of the bus to the back of the bus is 30 meters. The bus is 30 meters in length.
- A piece of wood is 10 meters X 10 cm X 15 cm. The piece of wood is 10 meters in length, 10 cm in breadth and 15 cm in height.
Length of TimeEdit
Length also describes time.
John sits down at one o'clock, or 1h. John waits until three o'clock, or 3h. John stands up at three o'clock, or 3h. John was sitting for 2 hours. The length of time John was sitting was two hours.