List of counties in Connecticut
This is a list of counties in Connecticut. There are eight counties in the U.S. state of Connecticut. Four of them were formed in 1666, when the colony of Connecticut was made from a number of smaller colonies. Two counties were made during colonial times, and two counties, Middlesex and Tolland, were formed after American independence (both in 1785). Six of the counties are named for locations in England, where many early Connecticut settlers were from. Although Connecticut is comprised of counties, after their abolishment in 1960, the roles of local government have been performed individually by Connecticut's 169 cities and towns.
||FIPS code||County seat(defunct) ||Established||Origin||Meaning of name||Population||Area||Map|
|Fairfield County||001||Fairfield (1666-1853)
|1666||One of four original counties formed in Connecticut||From the hundreds of acres of salt marsh that bordered the coast.||916,829||626 sq mi
|Hartford County||003||Hartford (1666-1960)||1666||One of four original counties formed in Connecticut||After the county of Hertfordshire in the UK||894,014||736 sq mi
|Litchfield County||005||Litchfield (1751-1960)||1751||From parts of Fairfield County, Hartford County, and New Haven County||City of Lichfield in the UK||189,927||920 sq mi
|Middlesex County||007||Middletown (1785-1960)||1785||From parts of Hartford County and New London County||Former county of Middlesex in the UK||165,676||369 sq mi
|New Haven County||009||New Haven (1666-1960)||1666||One of four original counties formed in Connecticut||After New Haven Colony, founded as a haven in which Puritans could be free from persecution||862,477||606 sq mi
|New London County||011||New London (1666-1960)||1666||One of four original counties formed in Connecticut||After London, UK||274,055||666 sq mi
|Tolland County||013||Tolland (1785-1889)
|1785||From parts of Hartford County, and Windham County||Hamlet of Tolland, Somerset, UK||152,691||410 sq mi
|Windham County||015||Windham (1726-1819)
Willimantic and Putnam (1895-1960)
|1726||From parts of Hartford County, and New London County||After Windham (now Wineham) in Sussex, England||118,428||513 sq mi
- Clark, George Larkin (1914). A History of Connecticut, Its People and Institutions. G.P. Putnam & Sons.
- "About Connecticut". CT.gov. Retrieved 2007-07-17.
- An Overview of County Government Archived 2008-07-08 at the Wayback Machine, National Association of Counties website, accessed 5 January 2008
- "EPA County FIPS Code Listing". EPA.gov. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- National Association of Counties. "NACo - Find a county". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- Beatty, Michael (2001). County Name Origins of the United States. McFarland Press. ISBN 0786410256.
- "Connecticut QuickFacts". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2007-07-17.