Madeiran wall lizard
|Madeira wall lizard|
|Teira dugesii in the São Jorge Island, Azores|
This Madeira wall lizard is endemic to the Madeira Islands, Portugal, where it is abundant. In the Azores, this lizard is found after involuntary introduction during the 19th century by ship trade between the two archipelagos, but the lizards have never reached the population numbers as in their territory of origin. There is also a small population in the port area of Lisbon, probably accidentally transported in ships carrying bananas, and first found in 1992; a study of 2001 found that the population has remained stable in size since its discovery.
The subspecies Teira dugesii mauli (Mertens, 1938) from the Desertas Islands now is a synonym of Teira dugesii dugesii. Atlantolacerta andreanskyi (Andreansky's lizard) from Morocco, and Scelarcis perspicillata (Menorca wall lizard) from Morocco, Algeria and Minorca, were in the genus Teira but now are in other genera.
The species Teira dugessii presents three subspecies:
- Teira dugesii dugesii (Milne-Edwards, 1829) - of the Madeira island and of the Desertas Islands (Deserta Grande, Ilhéu Chão e Bugio). The population introduced in Azores and Lisbon are of this subspecie.
- Teira dugesii jogeri (Bischoff, Osenegg & Mayer, 1989) - of the Porto Santo island.
- Teira dugesii selvagensis (Bischoff, Osenegg & Mayer, 1989) of the Selvagens islands.
These lizards can reach 20 cm (7.9 in) in length, although adults have usually between 10 and 15 cm (3.9 and 5.9 in). Their color can vary from light brown to dark gray, but with some of them (usually males) may show other colors, like green, blue and violet. Males can be easily distinguished from females due to the presence of a yellow fold at the bottom of the hind legs.
- Paulo Sá-Sousa, Roberto Sindado (2009). "Teira dugesii". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.1. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 12 August 2013.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- "Teira dugessi". The Reptile Database. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Sá-Sousa, Paulo (1995). "The introduced Madeiran lizard, Lacerta (Teira) dugesii in Lisbon" (PDF). Amphibia-Reptilia 16 (2): 211-214. http://podarcis.de/AS/Bibliografie/BIB_643.pdf. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Milne-Edwards, M.H. (1829). "Recherches zoologiques pour servir à l'histoire des lézards, extraites d'une monographie de ce genre". Annales des Sciences Naturelles (Paris) 16: 50-89. Available on line in Biodiversity Heritage Library
- "Teira dugesii (Milne-Edwards, 1829)". Amphibia-Reptilia.com. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Jesus, José (2012). "Evidence of high longevity in an Island lacertid, Teira dugesii (Milne-Edwards, 1829). First data on wild specimens". Acta Herpetologica 7 (2): 309-313. http://www.fupress.net/index.php/ah/article/view/10680. Retrieved 12 August 2013.