Stoneman Douglas High School shooting
On February 14, 2018, at around 2:20 pm EST, a shooting occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. It was near dismissal time when staff and students heard gunfire and enacted a "code red" lock down. At least 17 people were killed and many others injured. Originally, 20 people were reportedly injured, and the alleged shooter is in custody with the Broward County Sheriff's Office.
The suspect was transported to a local hospital for unknown reasons. He was transported from that hospital by the Sheriff's Office shortly thereafter. The shooter was later identified by police as 19-year-old Nicolas de Jesus Cruz. He is an expelled student of the school. The weapon used was a semi-automatic rifle.
President Donald Trump tweeted "Prayers and condolences. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school". Demonstrations and petitions toward gun control are also occur.
- Fleshler, David; Chokey, Aric; Huriash, Lisa J.; Trischitta, Linda (February 14, 2018). "Multiple deaths in South Florida high school shooting". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- Elizabeth Zwirz (February 14, 2018). "Florida high school under lockdown after reports of shooter, victims, police say". Fox News. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- Shapiro, Emily (February 14, 2018). "Police respond to shooting at Florida high school, suspect at large". Yahoo! News. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- Schwartz, Rafi (February 14, 2018). "At Least One Dead, Dozens Injured In Florida High School Shooting (DEVELOPING)". Splinter News. Splinter. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- Trump, Donald J. (14 February 2018). "My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school". @realDonaldTrump. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- Lockie, Alex. "Suspect in Florida shooting could face death penalty for 17 counts of premeditated murder". Business Insider. Retrieved February 15, 2018.