Mike Gravel 2020 presidential campaign
Former Senator Mike Gravel entered the 2020 presidential primaries on March 19, 2019, with the formal formation of an exploratory committee. Late that day, Gravel posted on Twitter that he was not entering the campaign to win, and that there would be a formal announcement in the coming days.
|Mike Gravel 2020 presidential campaign|
|Campaign||2020 United States presidential election (Democratic primaries)|
U.S. Senator from Alaska (1969–1981)
|Status||Exploratory committee formed: March 19, 2019|
Announced: April 2, 2019
Suspended: July 31, 2019
|Headquarters||Ardsley, New York|
He also posted attacks on other Democratic Presidential candidates Kamala Harris, Joe Biden and Cory Booker, while praising fellow candidates Bernie Sanders, Tulsi Gabbard and Pete Buttigieg.
On April 2, 2019, Gravel filed to officially run for office. He dropped out of the race on July 31, 2019 after failing to qualify for the debates. He endorsed Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard for President on August 5.
- "Mike Gravel for President Exploratory Committee" (PDF). FEC.gov. March 19, 2019. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- MikeGravel (March 19, 2019). "I am considering running in the 2020 Democratic primary. The goal will not be to win, but to bring a critique of American imperialism to the Democratic debate stage. The website (mikegravel.org ) is under construction. Official announcement will be in the coming days" (Tweet).
- MikeGravel (March 19, 2019). "The 2020 Democratic field pretends to progressivism, but don't buy the lie. @KamalaHarris kept innocent men on death row. @JoeBiden voted for the Iraq War. @CoryBooker invented a drug dealer friend (and voted with Big Pharma)" (Tweet).
- MikeGravel (March 19, 2019). ""Mayor Pete" is a good man, but he's only the mayor of a small town in Indiana. (Nothing wrong with that!) Sen. Gravel isn't seeking to win, just to get his message to the Democratic debates" (Tweet).
- MikeGravel (March 19, 2019). "If I run, I'd run not to win, but to push great candidates like @BernieSanders and @TulsiGabbard toward more sensible views on political reform and foreign policy through the debates. We need a strong left flank for strong policy" (Tweet).
- MikeGravel (April 2, 2019). "It. Is. On. Sen. Mike Gravel has officially filed to run for president. Our only aim is pushing the field left by appearing in the Democratic debates. Donate as little as you like, but help us get to the necessary 65k donors! Official launch is April 8" (Tweet). Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- "Statement of Candidacy" (PDF). docquery.fec.gov. 2019.
- Forgey, Quint (August 2, 2019). "Gravel and his campaign teens end presidential run". Politico. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Resnick, Gideon (5 August 2019). "Mike Gravel to Formally Endorse Bernie Sanders' Campaign". thedailybeast.com. The Daily Beast. Retrieved 5 August 2019.