|Type||Hybrid video game console|
|Release date||USA: March 3, 2017 EU: December 12, 2017|
|Media||Nintendo Switch Game Card, download|
|Controller input||Joy-Con, Nintendo Switch Pro Controller|
|Online services||Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo eShop|
The Switch is a hybrid console, similar to the lesser known Sega Nomad. The player can either connect it to a television or use it by itself as a handheld gaming device. It uses controllers called Joy-Cons, which can attach to both sides of the console. They can be attached to a grip when playing on a TV. The Joy-Con also have a feature known as HD Rumble, which allows for immersive vibration of the controllers. There is an infrared sensor on the bottom of the right Joy-Con that can detect shapes, and distance.
There are more than 1000 games for the Nintendo Switch. Some notable titles include The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Kirby Star Allies, and Pokémon Sword and Shield, with new titles coming out for the Nintendo Switch such as Mario + Rabbids: Sparks Of Hope.
In 2012, Nintendo released the Wii U, but it was a complete failure. It remains the worst-selling mainline console Nintendo has released. However, Nintendo's handheld console, the Nintendo 3DS, was selling quite well. In 2017, the Nintendo Switch was launched through a trailer. The Wii U would end up being discontinued before the Switch even came out. Most Wii U games have been ported and/or upgraded on the Switch, with games like MarioKart 8 and Super Mario Maker 2 being some notable ones.
The Nintendo Switch received widespread acclaim. The Switch became the fastest-selling console, outselling the Wii U in only nine months. In May 2020, it was announced that the Nintendo Switch had sold over 107 million consoles since its release. As of November 2020, the Switch is the best-selling Nintendo home console. On 6 May 2021, Nintendo Switch sold more units than the Nintendo 3DS, with 84.59 million units. However, a known issue with the Switch is "Joy-Con drift". This is when a joystick is broken, and the joystick "drifts" and sends an input to the console on its own, without someone touching it. One of the main causes of this is dirt. Dirt can get into the Joy-Con and get under the stick, which causes joystick drift.
The original Switch model had an LCD screen and had 32GB of internal memory. It costs $299.
A version called the Nintendo Switch Lite was released on September 20, 2019. It costs less and is smaller than a normal Nintendo Switch, doesn't use wires or anything and is a standalone device, but can not connect to a television like the normal Nintendo Switch and does not have detachable Joy-Con. Some games require an additional Joy-Con to play them.
The Nintendo Switch OLED Model is an upgraded version of the Switch that has a 7-inch OLED display, improved speakers, a larger and more adjustable stand, 64 GB of internal storage and a dock that includes a LAN cable port was announced by Nintendo on July 6, 2021. It was released on October 8, 2021 with a price of $349.99 (£309.99).
The Nintendo Switch has several accessories. Nintendo Labo is a series of cardboard add-ons which the user builds to play games with. Ring Fit Adventure includes a circular piece of rubber called a Ring-Con, and a leg strap. Similar to the Wii, the Switch also has a wheel shaped holder for the Joy-Con.
The original model of the Nintendo Switch has a 720p LCD screen, 1.02 GHz quad-core CPU, 4 GB of RAM and 32 GB of flash storage. The OLED model has the same CPU and amount of RAM, but with an OLED screen and 64 GB of storage.
- Webster, Andrew (2017-01-12). "The Nintendo Switch will launch on March 3rd for $299". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-07-11.
- Byford, Sam (January 31, 2018). "The Nintendo Switch has already outsold the Wii U". The Verge. Retrieved April 2, 2021.
- Reynolds, Ollie (10 May 2022). "Nintendo Switch Has Now Sold Over 107 Million Units". Nintendo Life.
- "Consolidated Financial Heights" (PDF). Nintendo. February 1, 2021.
- "Nintendo Switch hits 84.59 million units sold, with 28.8 million sold this past year". VentureBeat. 2021-05-06. Retrieved 2021-07-11.
- "IR Information : Sales Data - Dedicated Video Game Sales Units". Nintendo Co., Ltd. Retrieved 2022-08-25.
- "Statistics: Nintendo Switch to soon become the world's best-selling console". 2022-07-26. Retrieved 2022-08-25.
- "The Nintendo Switch family grows with today's launch of Nintendo Switch Lite". Nintendo. Retrieved 20 December 2020.
- McWhertor, Michael (2021-07-06). "Nintendo announces new Nintendo Switch model with 7-inch OLED screen". Polygon. Retrieved 2021-07-06.
- Martin, Chris. "Switch vs OLED model - we compare Nintendo's main consoles to help you choose". Tech Advisor. Retrieved 2021-07-11.