language group of the Indo-Iranian language family
The Nuristani (Nurestani) languages (Persian: زبان نورستانی) are one of the three groups in the Indo-Iranian language family. The other two languages are Indo-Aryan and Iranian. They are spoken primarily in eastern Afghanistan.
- Askunu (Ashkun) 2,000 speakers
- Kamkata-viri (Bashgali, includes the dialects Kata-vari, Shekhani, Kamviri & Mumviri) 24,200 speakers
- Vasi-vari (Prasuni) 2,000 speakers
- Tregami (Gambiri) 1,000 speakers
- Waigali (Kalasha-ala) 2,000 speakers
- Zemiaki 500 speakers (traditionally classified as a dialekt of Indo-Aryan Nangalami-Grangali, belongs here according to Grjunberg 1999)