study of stamps and postal history and other related items
Philately is the study and collection of postage stamps and postal history.
Types of PhilatelyEdit
- Thematic philately, also known as topical philately, is the study of art shown on stamps. This can be pictures of many things on a stamp, like people, animals, boats, insects, and vehicles. Interesting parts of thematic philately also include mistakes in the art of a stamp. For example, the removal of cigarettes from United States stamps.
- Postal history studies the history of how mail and stamps were processed. This relates to post offices, postmarks, and how mail is taken from place to place.
- Aerophilately studies airmail (mail that travels on planes).
- Astrophilately studies stamps that are related to outer space, and objects like the Moon.
- In the United Kingdom
- National Philatelic Society UK
- Philatelic Traders Society (London)
- Royal Philatelic Society London
- Welsh Philatelic Society Archived 2008-05-03 at the Wayback Machine
- In the United States
- American First Day Cover Society
- American Philatelic Society
- American Revenue Association
- American Topical Association
- National Postal Museum (USA)
- Precancel Stamp Society
- Old World Archaeological Study Unit Archived 2009-02-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Other places
- Académie Européenne de Philatélie
- Fédération Internationale de Philatélie
- Scouts on Stamps Society International
- GEOPHILA Association of collectors of stamp territories around the world
- Wreck & Crash Mail Society
- Europe: Small European Postal Administration Cooperation
- Argentina: Féderación Argentina de Entidades Filatélicas
- Australia: Australian Philatelic Federation
- Canada: British North American Philatelic Society
- Cyprus: Cyprus Philatelic Society
- India: Indian Postal Service
- New Zealand: Royal Philatelic Society of New Zealand Inc Archived 2007-06-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Russia: The Rossica Society of Russian Philately
- South Africa: Thematic Collecting Group in South Africa Archived 2009-02-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Ukraine: Odessa City Collectors' Society
- Media related to Philately at Wikimedia Commons