Pope Benedict VIII
Pope Benedict VIII (Latin: Benedictus Octavus; –died April 9, 1024), born Teofillato or Theophylactus, was an Italian cleric of the Roman Catholic Church and the 144th Pope from 1012 to 1024.
|Papacy began||May 18, 1012|
|Papacy ended||April 9, 1024|
|Predecessor||Pope Sergius IV|
|Successor||Pope John XIX|
|Birth name||Teofillato (Theophylactus)|
|Died||April 9, 1024|
|Other popes named Benedict|
Teofillato was the son of Gregory, Count of Tusculum. He was the brother of Pope John XIX. He was related to Pope Sergius IV and the Conti family.
Teofillato was a layman before he was elected pope in 1012.
Benedict was supported by King Henry II of Saxony. Benedict crowned Henry Holy Roman Emperor in 1014.
- ↑ "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-7.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Pope Benedict VIII", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-7.
- ↑ The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge. Encyclopedia Americana Corporation. 1918. p. 504.
- ↑ The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1835. p. 214.
- ↑ Chisholm, Hugh (1910). The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. Encyclopedia Britannica Company. p. 718.
Media related to Benedictus VIII at Wikimedia Commons
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Popes in sequence
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Benedict VIII