Pope Callixtus III
Pope Callixtus III (Latin: Callistus Tertius; December 31, 1378–August 6, 1458), born Alfonso de Borja, was an Spanish official of the Roman Catholic Church and the 210th Pope from April 8, 1455 until his death.
|Bishop of Rome|
|Papacy began||8 April 1455|
|Papacy ended||6 August 1458|
|Consecration||31 August 1429|
by Pierre de Foix
|Created cardinal||2 May 1444|
by Eugene IV
|Birth name||Alfons de Borja|
|Born||31 December 1378|
|Died||6 August 1458 (aged 79)|
Rome, Papal States
|Children||Francisco de Borja|
|Coat of arms|
|Other popes named Callixtus|
Early life change
Related pages change
- The pope's name is also spelled "Callistus"
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2012-6-22.
- "Pope Callistus III", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2012-6-22.
- The Italian spelling for the pope's name was "Borgia".
- Beckett, William. (1836). "Callixtus III," A Universal Biography, Vol. 1, p. 633.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1836). "Calixtus III," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 6, p. 162.
- "Joan of Arc", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2012-6-22.
Other websites change
Media related to Callistus III at Wikimedia Commons
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Borja, Alfonso de Archived 2017-09-25 at the Wayback Machine