Pope Innocent XI
Pope Innocent XI (Latin: Innocentius Undecimus; 16 May 1611 – 12 August 1689), born Benedetto Odescalchi, was an Italian cleric of the Roman Catholic Church and the 240th Pope from 1676 to 1689.
|Papacy began||21 September 1676|
|Papacy ended||12 August 1689|
|Predecessor||Pope Clement X|
|Successor||Pope Alexander VIII|
|Birth name||Benedetto Odescalchi|
|Born||May 16, 1611|
|Died||August 12, 1689 (aged 78)|
|Other popes named Innocent|
Benedetto Odescalchi was born at Como in 1611. He was the son of a Como nobleman, Livio Odescalchi
In 1645, Pope Innocent X raised Odescalchi to the rank of cardinal.
Cardinal Odescalchi was elected pope on 21 September 1676; and he chose to be called Innocent XI.
Pope Innocent was involved in Italian and European political disputes, chiefly with Louis XIV of France
In December 1688, Innocent received the diplomatic mission sent to the Vatican by Narai, the King of Siam.
After his deathEdit
After Innocent XI in 1689, he was buried in St. Peter's Basilica.
The process of canonization was begun in 1714 and suspended in 1744. Pope Pius XII announced his beatification in 1956.
- ↑ "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-12-1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 "Blessed Pope Innocent XI", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-12-1.
- ↑ Chisholm, Hugh (1910). The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. Encyclopedia Britannica Company. p. 582.
- ↑ The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1838. p. 481.
- ↑ Smithies, Michael and Luigi Bressan. (2001). Siam and the Vatican in the Seventeenth Century, p. 98.
- ↑ "Blessed Pope Innocent XI," Archived 2017-12-01 at the Wayback Machine Catholic News Agency ; retrieved 2011-12-2.
Media related to Innocentius XI at Wikimedia Commons
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Innocent XI
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Odescalchi
- Video footage showing the beatification of Pope Innocent XI