Pope Julius III
Pope Julius III (Latin: Julius Tertius; 10 September 1487 – 23 March 1555), born Giovanni Maria Ciocchi del Monte, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 222nd Pope from February 1550 until his death in 1555.
|Papacy began||7 February 1550|
|Papacy ended||23 March 1555|
|Predecessor||Pope Paul III|
|Successor||Pope Marcellus II|
|Consecration||12 November 1514|
by Antonio Maria Ciocchi del Monte
|Created Cardinal||22 December 1536|
|Birth name||Giovanni Maria Ciocchi del Monte|
|Born||10 September 1487|
Rome, Papal State
|Died||23 March 1555 (aged 67)|
Rome, Papal State
|Other Popes named Julius|
Cardinal Ciocchi del Monte was elected pope on 7 February 1550.
Pope Julius was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
Pope Julius re-opened the Council of Trent.
- P. Messina, 'Del Monte, Innocenzo', Dizionario biografico degli italiani, Vol 38, Rome, 1990.
- Smith, Marc (2002). "Julius III". In Levillain, Philippe (ed.). The Papacy: Gaius-Proxies. Routledge.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- O'Malley, John W (2009). A History of the Popes: From Peter to the Present. Government Institutes.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Bayle, Pierre. "Jules III." Dictionnaire historique et critique. Vol. 15. Paris: Desoer, 1820.
- Burkle-Young, Francis A., and Michael Leopoldo Doerrer. The Life of Cardinal Innocenzo del Monte: A Scandal in Scarlet. Lewiston, N.Y.: Edwin Mellen, 1997.
- Dall'Orto, Giovanni. "Julius III." Who's Who in Gay and Lesbian History from Antiquity to World War II. Robert Aldrich and Garry Wotherspoon, eds. London: Routledge, 2001. 234-35.
- Kelly, J. N. D. The Oxford Dictionary of Popes. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1986.
Media related to Iulius III at Wikimedia Commons
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Julius III
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Ciocchi del Monte
|Catholic Church titles|
7 February 1550 – 23 March 1555