Pope from 913 to 914
Pope Lando (913-14) (Latin: Landus; died 914) was the 122nd Pope from July or August in 913 until February or March in 914.
|Papacy began||July or August 913|
|Papacy ended||February or March 914|
|Predecessor||Pope Anastasius III|
|Successor||Pope John X|
|Died||February or March 914|
Little is known about the short period during which Pope Lando was the head of the church.
Lando was to be the last pope with a name that was completely unique until Pope Francis's election. Since then, there has not been another pope with the name Lando.
Until Pope John Paul I in 1978, Pope Lando was the last pope to use a papal name which had not been used by an earlier pope.
- ↑ "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2013-3-16.
- ↑ "Pope Lando," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2013-3-16.
- ↑ Memmott, Mark. "5 Things About Popes And Their Names; Like, Why Do They Change Them?" NPR (National Public Radio, US). March 12, 2013; retrieved 2013-3-16.
Media related to Lando (papa) at Wikimedia Commons
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Popes in sequence