Prime Minister of Spain
head of government of Spain
The President of the Government of Spain (Spanish: Presidente del Gobierno), is the head of Government of Spain. The office was created by the Constitution of 1978. The current Prime Minister is Pedro Sánchez. The first politician to carry the office of Prime Minister was Adolfo Suárez.
|President of the Government of Spain|
Presidente del Gobierno de España
since 1 June 2018
|Style||Excelentísimo Señor |
His Excellency (diplomatic)
|Member of||Council of Ministers|
|Residence||Palacio de la Moncloa|
Countersigned by the President of the Congress of Deputies
Following a vote of confidence by a majority of the Congress of Deputies and with the countersignature of the President of the Congress of Deputies
|Term length||No fixed term|
General elections to the Congress of Deputies are held every 4 years at most. No term limits are imposed on the office.
|Constituting instrument||Constitution of 1978|
|Formation||1834, 1978 (in its current incarnation)|
|First holder||Francisco Martínez de la Rosa, Adolfo Suárez (current Constitution)|
|Deputy||Vice President of the Government|
List of prime ministers (1976 – present)Edit
- 1. Adolfo Suárez (5 July 1976 – 29 January 1981) (1932-2014)
- 2. Leopoldo Calvo Sotelo (25 February 1981 – 1 December 1982) (1926-2008)
- 3. Felipe González (1 December 1982 – 5 May 1996) (1942-)
- 4. José María Aznar (5 May 1996 – 17 April 2004) (1953-)
- 5. José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero (17 April 2004 – 21 December 2011) (1960-)
- 6. Mariano Rajoy (21 December 2011 – 1 June 2018) (1955-)
- 7. Pedro Sánchez (1 June 2018 – present) (1972-)
Living former prime ministersEdit
There are four living former Spanish prime ministers:
Felipe González (age 81)
José María Aznar (age 70)
José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero (age 62)
Mariano Rajoy (age 67)
The most recent Prime Minister to die was Adolfo Suárez (served 1976–1981) on 23 March 2014, aged 81.
- ↑ "El director de Gabinete de Rajoy, el mejor pagado de la Presidencia". elpais.com (in Spanish). El Pais.
El presidente del Gobierno, Mariano Rajoy, percibe 78.185 euros brutos al año (6.515 euros brutos al mes).
- ↑ Secretary of State for Communications of the Ministry of the Presidency. "President of the Government". Ministry of the Presidency of Spain. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
Media related to Prime ministers of Spain at Wikimedia Commons