Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester
Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, (Richard Alexander Walter George; born 26 August 1944) is a member of the British royal family.
|Duke of Gloucester (more)|
|Born||Prince Richard of Gloucester|
26 August 1944
St Matthew's Nursing Home, Northampton, England
Birgitte van Deurs Henriksen (m. 1972)
|Father||Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester|
|Mother||Lady Alice Montagu Douglas Scott|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Alma mater||Magdalene College, Cambridge|
He is the second son of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, and Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, as well as the youngest of the nine grandchildren of George V and Queen Mary. He is currently 30th in line of succession to the British throne, and the highest person on the list who is not a descendant of George VI, who was his uncle. At the time of his birth, he was 5th in line to the throne, behind his first cousins Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth II) and Princess Margaret, his father, and his elder brother Prince William of Gloucester.
Marriage and family Edit
- Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard Windsor, Earl of Ulster (born 24 October 1974 at St Mary's Hospital, London); he married Claire Booth in 2002. The couple have two children.
- Lady Davina Elizabeth Alice Benedikte Windsor (born 19 November 1977 at St Mary's Hospital, London); she married Gary Lewis in 2004, and they divorced in 2018. They have two children.
- Lady Rose Victoria Birgitte Louise Gilman (born 1 March 1980 at St Mary's Hospital, London); she married George Gilman in 2008. The couple have two children.
Titles and styles Edit
- 26 August 1944 – 10 June 1974: His Royal Highness Prince Richard of Gloucester
- 10 June 1974 – present: His Royal Highness The Duke of Gloucester
- In Scotland: His Royal Highness The Earl of Ulster
- In Northern Ireland: Baron Culloden
References and notes Edit
- The Duke of Gloucester at the Royal Family website
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Gloucester
Prince Richard, Duke of GloucesterBorn: 26 August 1944
|Lines of succession|
| Line of succession to the British throne
son of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester
grandson of George V
Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
The Prince Henry
| Duke of Gloucester
10 June 1974 – present
Earl of Ulster
|New creation|| Chancellor of the University of Worcester
|Order of precedence in the United Kingdom|
HRH The Duke of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent