A private prison is a prison run by a private company instead of the government. The government hires the private prison company to perform all the services needed to keep the convicts locked up while they serve out their sentences.
Reasons why some governments run private prisons are:
- It may save money.
- Private prisons may come up with new ideas on how to run prisons better.
- If a prison is poorly run, someone new can run it.
However, many people do not like the idea of private prisons. The main reasons for this are:
- The company may spend less on caring for the prisons so they can keep more money for themselves.
- Companies end up making money if more people go to prison.
- Some people think that (like the police), prisons should only be run by the government.