William Marsh Rice University, also called Rice University, is a private university in Houston, Texas. Rice was started in 1912. It is ranked one of the best universities in the world, especially for undergraduate education. Rice is named after the Houston businessman William Marsh Rice who provided the money in his will to begin the university.
William Marsh Rice University
|William M. Rice Institute for the Advancement of Literature, Science and Art (1912-1960)|
|Motto||Letters, Science, Art|
|Endowment||$4.45 billion (as of 2012)|
|President||David W. Leebron|
|650 full time|
|Students||5,760 (fall 2010)|
|Undergraduates||3,485 (fall 2010)|
|Postgraduates||2,275 (fall 2010)|
|Campus||Urban, 295 acres (1.19 km2)|
|Colors||Blue & Grey|
|Athletics||14 varsity teams|
NCAA Division I
American Athletic Conference
|Mascot||Sammy the Owl|
Rice is organized into eleven residential colleges and eight schools of study, for natural sciences, engineering, humanities, business, architecture, and music. The students at Rice abide by an honor code that is strictly enforced.
- "William Marsh Rice, Founder of Rice University: exhibit". Rice University - Fondren Library. Archived from the original on 2011-04-09. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- "2011 Town Hall Meeting Minutes" (PDF). the Rice Thresher. Archived from the original on 2009-09-11. Retrieved February 25, 2011.
- "Rice Facts - Faculty and Staff". Rice University. Archived from the original on 2012-07-28. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Rice Students Enrollment and Demographics". Rice University. Archived from the original on 2012-07-28. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Rice Facts - Campus". Rice University. Archived from the original on 2008-12-31. Retrieved 2008-11-21.
- "National Universities Rankings - Best College". U.S. News & World Report. 2011. Archived from the original on 2009-08-21. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- "Rice Facts - Academic Schools". Rice University. Archived from the original on 2008-12-19. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- "Honor Code". Rice University. Archived from the original on 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2011-02-06.