Richard V. Spencer
Richard Vaughn Spencer (born January 18, 1954) is an American politician and businessman. He was the 76th United States Secretary of the Navy from August 3, 2017 through November 24, 2019. He became the Acting United States Secretary of Defense on July 15, 2019.
|76th United States Secretary of the Navy|
August 3, 2017 – November 24, 2019
|Preceded by||Ray Mabus|
|Succeeded by||Kenneth Braithwaite|
|Acting United States Deputy Secretary of Defense|
July 23, 2019 – July 31, 2019
|Preceded by||David Norquist (acting)|
|Succeeded by||David Norquist|
|Acting United States Secretary of Defense|
July 15, 2019 – July 23, 2019
|Deputy||David Norquist (acting)|
|Preceded by||Mark Esper (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Mark Esper|
|Born||January 18, 1954|
Waterbury, Connecticut, U.S.
|Education||Rollins College (BA)|
|Branch/service||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1976–1981|
|*Thomas Modly served in an acting capacity from July 15, 2019 – July 31, 2019 while Spencer served as Acting Secretary and Acting Deputy Secretary.|
He was a former Naval Aviator of U.S. Marine Corps serving from 1976-1981 and Vice Chairman and Chief Financial Officer of Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. serving from November 2001 to January 2008.
- "Letter from Acting Secretary of Defense Richard V. Spencer to Pentagon".
- "Reports: Former Marine Richard V. Spencer to be nominated for Navy secretary". Washington Examiner. 9 March 2017.
- "Stocks". Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- Evans, Garrett (3 April 2017). "President Trump moves to fill out top ranks at Pentagon". TheHill.
- "Statement by DOD Spokesman Jonathan Hoffman". U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE. Retrieved 2019-11-24.