Second Mexican Empire
The Second Mexican Empire (Spanish: Segundo Imperio Mexicano), Officially the Mexican Empire (Imperio Mexicano), was a Constitutional Monarchy and Client state of the Second French Empire in Mexico, it was ruled by Maximilian of Habsburg who ruled as Maximilian I of Mexico and his wife Charlotte of Mexico, it was established during the Second French intervention in Mexico as a client state to compete with the powerful United States, This is nothing related to the First Mexican Empire of Agustín de Iturbide.
|Motto: Equidad en la Justicia|
"Equity in Justice"
|Anthem: "Himno Nacional Mexicano"|
(English: "National Anthem of Mexico")
|Status||Client state of France|
|Religion||Roman Catholicism (official religion)|
|Government||Federal parliamentary constitutional monarchy|
|Juan Almonte, José Salas, Pelagio de Labastida|
|José María Lacunza|
|Historical era||New Imperialism|
|8 December 1861|
• Maximilian I accepts Mexican crown
|10 April 1864|
• Emperor Maximilian I executed
|19 June 1867|
|ISO 3166 code||MX|
|Today part of||Mexico|
- Covarruvias José, Enciclopedia Política de México, TOMO IV, Edit. Belisario Domínguez. 2010
- Miquel de la Rosa (2022). French Liberalism and Imperialism in the Age of Napoleon III. Springer Nature. p. 3.
- Roger D. Price (2002). Napoleon III and the Second Empire. Routledge.
- Guedalla, Philip (1923). The Second Empire. Hodder and Stoughton. p. 322.