The sitar (English: // or //; Hindi: सितार, Punjabi: ਸਿਤਾਰ, Urdu: ستار sitāra pronounced [sɪˈtaːr]) is a plucked string instrument. It uses sympathetic strings along with a long hollow neck and a gourd resonating chamber to make a rich sound with complex harmonic resonance. It is used throughout India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sitars.|
- A knowledge base on Sitar Archived 2007-12-24 at the Wayback Machine
- International sitar learning and information website (sitar.co.za)
- Origin of Sitar
- Information on the Sitar
- More about Sitar
- History and Origins of the Sitar
- vimoksha - Indian classical music resources - Information on Indian classical music, stringed instruments and Indian classical dance.
- Sitar FAQ Archived 2007-12-30 at the Wayback Machine
- Sitar buying guide