19th-century Russian mathematician
Sofya Vasilyevna Kovalevskaya (Russian: Софья Васильевна Ковалевская), born Sofya Vasilyevna Korvin-Krukovskaya (15 January [O.S. 3 January] 1850 – 10 February 1891), was a Russian mathematician who contributed to analysis, partial differential equations and mechanics. She was a pioneer for women in mathematics around the world – the first woman to obtain a doctorate (in the modern sense) in mathematics, the first woman appointed to a full professorship in Northern Europe and one of the first women to work for a scientific journal as an editor.
|Died||10 February 1891 (aged 41)|
|Alma mater||University of Göttingen (PhD; 1874)|
|Known for||Cauchy–Kowalevski theorem|
|Doctoral advisor||Karl Weierstrass|
- ↑ There are several alternative transliterations of her name. She herself used Sophie Kowalevski (or occasionally Kowalevsky) in her academic publications.
- ↑ "Sofya Vasilyevna Kovalevskaya.". Encyclopædia Britannica Online Academic Edition. Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
Wikisource has original writing related to this article:
- Cooke, Roger (1984).The Mathematics of Sonya Kovalevskaya (Springer-Verlag) ISBN 0-387-96030-9
- Kennedy, Don H. (1983). Little Sparrow, a Portrait of Sofia Kovalevsky. Athens: Ohio University Press. ISBN 0-8214-0692-2
- Koblitz, Ann Hibner (1993). A Convergence of Lives: Sofia Kovalevskaia -- Scientist, Writer, Revolutionary. Lives of women in science, 99-2518221-2 (2., revised ed.). New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers Univ. P. ISBN 0-8135-1962-4
- Koblitz, Ann Hibner (1987). Sofia Vasilevna Kovalevskaia in Louise S. Grinstein; Paul J. Campbell, eds. (1987), Women of Mathematics: A Bio-Bibliographic Sourcebook, Greenwood Press, New York, ISBN 978-0-313-24849-8
- The Legacy of Sonya Kovalevskaya: proceedings of a symposium sponsored by the Association for Women in Mathematics and the Mary Ingraham Bunting Institute, held October 25–28, 1985. Contemporary mathematics, 0271-4132 ; 64. Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society. 1987. ISBN 0-8218-5067-9
- Sofya Kovalevskaya at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Sofia Kovalevskaya", Biographies of Women Mathematicians, Agnes Scott College
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Sofya Kovalevskaya", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Women's History - Sofia Kovalevskaya
- Brief biography of Sofia Kovalevskaya by Yuriy Belits. University of Colorado at Denver, March 17, 2005.
- Biography (in Russian)
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Works by or about Sofya Kovalevskaya in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Sof'i Kovalevskoy street, Saint Petersburg (OpenStreetMap)
- Sof'i Kovalevskoy street, Moscow (OpenStreetMap)