program of study, or unit of teaching that typically lasts one academic term
Subjects are the parts into which learning can be divided. At school, each lesson usually covers one subject only. Some of the most common subjects at school are Language arts, history, mathematics, physical education and science.
Primary school subjects: (ages 4–11)
- Languages (French, German, Spanish)
- Natural history
- Personal, social and health education (PSHE)
- Social Studies
Secondary school subjects: (ages 11–16)
- Business studies
- Critical reading
- Design & technology
- Information and communication technology (ICT)
- Modern studies
- PE: Physical education
- P.S.H.E: Personal, social and health education (PSHE)
- RE: Religious education
- Study skills
Other subjects include:
- Ancient Greek
- Animal husbandry
- Computer studies.
- Design technology
- Food technology
- Foreign languages: Spanish, French, German, Irish, Welsh, Italian etc.
- Health and hygiene
- Home economics
- Design Technology (Paper and Board, Resistant Materials, Food Technology, Textiles)
- New International Encyclopedia. 1905. .
- . Encyclopedia Americana. 1920.