Subway is a corporation that operates a large chain of fast food restaurants. These restaurants mainly sell Submarine sandwiches, but also pizzas and salads. The name "Subway" comes from the New York City Subway, a public transport system in New York City, and many restaurants are decorated with historic photographs and maps of the subway system.
|Founded||Bridgeport, Connecticut, U.S. (1965)|
|Headquarters||Milford, Connecticut, U.S.|
|Revenue||$15.0305 billion USD (2006)|
The first Subway outside of North America opened in Bahrain, in December 1984. Today, there are more than 44,000 Subway locations in 112 countries across the world, making it the world's largest fast food restaurant chain by number of stores. It has more stores than McDonald's, but McDonald's earns more revenue than Subway.
Since 2007, Subway has consistently ranked in Entrepreneur Magazines' top 500 franchise list. It also ranked 2nd on the "Fastest Growing Franchise" lists. In March 2011, Subway was named "the most loved fast food chain in the US" by Amplicate.com.[source?]
Subway's main product is called Submarine sandwich or Sub. Each sub is made from a combination of baguette, meat, cheese and vegetables. Subway has different menu items for different countries. But the restaurants in most countries have some common products. They are:
- Italian BMT (Stands for "Biggest, Meatiest, Tastiest" though it stood for "Brooklyn Manhattan Transit" at first.)
- Steak & Cheese
- Meatball Marinara
- Chicken Teriyaki
- Subway Club
- Chicken & Bacon Ranch
- Roasted Chicken
- Veggie Delite
Subway opened its first restaurant in India in 2001 in New Delhi. Subway restaurants in India do not serve beef and pork products in deference to Hindu and Muslim beliefs respectively. Subway opened its first all-vegetarian outlet on the campus of Lovely Professional University (LPU) in Jalandhar, Punjab.
- "Subway Restaurants International Homepage". Archive.today. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Ganzel, Bill (2016-08-22). "McDonald's vs Subway: Which Has the Bigger Restaurant Chain?". Knoema. Retrieved 2017-02-28. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "Menu Categories". Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Official Subway FAQs". Retrieved 5 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Subway (restaurant).|