Super Bowl XLVI
Super Bowl XLVI (Super Bowl 46) was an American football game between the National Football Conference (NFC) champion New York Giants and the American Football Conference (AFC) champion New England Patriots to decide the National Football League (NFL) champion for the 2011 season. The Giants defeated the Patriots by the score of 21–17. The game was played on February 5, 2012, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, the first time that the Super Bowl was played in the state of Indiana.
|Super Bowl XLVI|
|Date||February 5, 2012|
|Stadium||Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana|
|MVP||Eli Manning, Quarterback|
|Favorite||Patriots by 2½|
|National anthem||Kelly Clarkson|
|Coin toss||John Parry|
|Halftime show||Madonna featuring LMFAO, M.I.A., Nicki Minaj and Cee Lo Green|
|TV in the United States|
|Announcers||Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth and Michele Tafoya|
|Nielsen ratings||47.0 (national)|
49.7 (New York)
US viewership: 111.3 million est. avg., 166.8 million est. total
|Market share||71 (national)|
|Cost of 30-second commercial||US$3.5 million|
This Super Bowl is a rematch of Super Bowl XLII, which was also won by New York 17-14 and when they stopped the Patriots perfect season. This time, the Patriots entered the Super Bowl with a regular season 13-3 record, yet they were still the top seed and the New York Giants were the 4th seed.
- "Eli Manning wins 2nd Super Bowl MVP award". The Wall Street Journal. Associated Press. February 5, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- "New York Giants – New England Patriots Box Scores, Game Results & Summary". USA Today. February 5, 2012. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- McCarthy, Michael (February 6, 2012). "NBC: Super Bowl XLVI draws overnight TV rating of 47.8". Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Deitsch, Richard (February 6, 2012). "Super Bowl XLVI sets viewership records". Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Webb Mitovich, Matt. "Ratings: Super Bowl XLVI Is Most-Watched TV Program Ever, With 111.3 Million Viewers". TVLine. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- Smith, Aaron. "NBC's Super Bowl ads sell out at record prices". CNN Money. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- "Super Bowl ads cost average of $3.5M". ESPN. February 5, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- "Live Coverage: Super Bowl XLVI". The New York Times. February 5, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- "Eli Manning, Giants thwart Pats again to cap magical run with 4th Super Bowl title". ESPN. February 5, 2012. Retrieved February 8, 2012.