The Fox and the Hound
The Fox and the Hound is a 1981 American animated drama movie. It was produced by Walt Disney Productions. It is loosely based on the novel of the same name by Daniel P. Mannix. It is the 24th Disney animated movie. The movie tells the story of two unlikely friends, a red fox named Tod and a hound dog named Copper. They have trouble keeping their friendship despite their emerging instincts, as well as the people around them saying that they have to be enemies. The movie is directed by Ted Berman, Richard Rich, and Art Stevens. The movie features the voices of Mickey Rooney, Kurt Russell, Pearl Bailey, Jack Albertson, Sandy Duncan, Jeanette Nolan, Pat Buttram, John Fiedler, John McIntire, Dick Bakalyan, Paul Winchell, Keith Mitchell, and Corey Feldman.
|The Fox and the Hound|
|Based on||The Fox and the Hound|
by Daniel P. Mannix
|Music by||Buddy Baker|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Distribution|
|Box office||$63.5 million|
The Fox and the Hound was released to movie theaters on July 10, 1981. It was a success at the box office. At the time of release, it was the most expensive animated movie produced to date. It cost $12 million to make the movie. It was re-released to theaters on March 25, 1988. A direct-to-video followup, The Fox and the Hound 2, was released to DVD on December 12, 2006.
- Mickey Rooney as Tod
- Kurt Russell as Copper
- Pearl Bailey as Big Mama
- Jack Albertson as Amos Slade
- Sandy Duncan as Vixey
- Jeanette Nolan as Widow Tweed
- Pat Buttram as Chief
- John Fiedler as The Porcupine
- John McIntire as The Badger
- Dick Bakalyan as Dinky
- Paul Winchell as Boomer
- Keith Mitchell as Young Tod
- Corey Feldman as Young Copper
The Fox and the Hound was first released on VHS on March 4, 1994. This was the last video installment of the Walt Disney Classics collection. The release was placed into moratorium on April 30, 1995. On May 2, 2000, the movie was released on Region 1 DVD for the first time. This was part of the Walt Disney Gold Classic Collection line. A 25th anniversary special edition DVD was released on October 10, 2006.
The Fox and the Hound was released on Blu-ray on August 9, 2011. This was to honor the movie's 30th anniversary. The movie was released in a 3-disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo pack alongside its direct-to video followup The Fox and the Hound 2 in a 2-movie Collection Edition. The Blu-ray has a new digital restoration. It presents the movie for the first time in 1.66:1 widescreen. It also has 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. The Fox and the Hound 2 is presented in 1.78:1 widescreen. It has the same sound as the first movie. A DVD-only edition was also released on the same day.
|1982||9th Saturn Awards||Best Fantasy Film||Nominated|
|1982 Golden Screen Awards||Won|
|5th Youth in Film Awards||Best Motion Picture - Fantasy or Comedy - Family Enjoyment||Nominated|
A followup, The Fox and the Hound 2, was released directly-to-DVD on December 12, 2006. The followup takes place during the childhood of Tod and Copper. This is before the events of the later half of the first movie. The story-line is about Copper wanting to join a band of singing stray dogs. This puts his friendship with Tod to the test. The followup received negative reception. Critics considered it to be a poor copy of the first movie.
- Ansen, David (July 13, 1981). "Forest Friendship". Newsweek. The Washington Post Company: 81.
- "The Fox and the Hound (1981)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved September 20, 2008.
- "Fox and the Hound, The (film) - D23". D23. Disney.com. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Liebenson, Donald (February 19, 1995). "How to Outsmart Disney's Moratorium: Frustrated buyers can get around the firm's policy of pulling its animated classics off the market. It takes a little digging--and some serious cash". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 26, 2018.
- "The Fox and the Hound: Gold Collection DVD Review". DVDDizzy. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- "The Fox and the Hound 25th Anniversary Edition DVD Review". DVDDizzy. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- "The Fox and the Hound and The Fox and the Hound 2: 2 Movie Collection Blu-ray + DVD Review". DVDDizzy. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- "The Fox and the Hound - Awards". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Past Saturn Awards". Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films. Archived from the original on December 19, 2008. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "5th Annual Awards". Young Artist Association. Archived from the original on April 3, 2011. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: The Fox and the Hound|