The Times is a British daily national newspaper published in London. It is the earliest newspaper still being published. It began in 1785 under the title The Daily Universal Register. It got its present name on 1 January 1788.
|Founded||1 January 1785(as The Daily Universal Register)|
|Headquarters||The News Building, London|
|Circulation||359,960 (Print, Feb 2020)|
304,000 (Digital, June 2019)
|Sister newspapers||The Sunday Times|
The Times and The Sunday Times (founded in 1821) are published by Times Newspapers. They are a subsidiary of News UK, which is wholly owned by News Corp. The Times and The Sunday Times do not share editorial staff. They were founded independently, and have only had common ownership since 1966.
The Times is the first newspaper to have borne that name. The name has been copied by other papers around the world, such as The Times of India and The New York Times. In countries where these other titles are popular, the newspaper is often referred to as The London Times, or as The Times of London.
The Times had an average daily circulation of 417,298 in January 2019. In the same period, The Sunday Times had an average weekly circulation of 712,291. An American edition of The Times has been published since 6 June 2006. The Times is often used by scholars and researchers because it is a reliable source, it is in many libraries and has a detailed index. A complete historical file of the digitised paper, up to 2010, is online from Gale Cengage Learning.
- Katherine Rushton "John Witherow named acting editor of The Times as News International eyes merger", telegraph.co.uk, 18 January 2013
- "The Times - Data - ABC | Audit Bureau of Circulations". www.abc.org.uk.
- "The Times & The Sunday Times surpass 300,000 digital-only subscribers | News UK". www.news.co.uk.
- "London Times: "Caster Semenya and the middle sex" | OII Australia – Intersex Australia". Oii.org.au. 20 November 2009. Archived from the original on 11 November 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "London Times posts digital subs rise". AdNews. 4 July 2011. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Times' editorial page calls for intervention to save Winehouse | Toronto Star". Thestar.com. 26 January 2008. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "National newspaper ABCs". Press Gazette. 14 February 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- Pfanner, Eric (27 May 2006). "Times of London to Print Daily U.S. Edition". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- "The Times Digital Archive". Gale Cengage Learning. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Bingham, Adrian. "The Times Digital Archive, 1785–2006 (Gale Cengage)," English Historical Review (2013) 128#533 pp: 1037–1040. doi:10.1093/ehr/cet144