This article does not have any sources. (October 2023)
Vijayanagara empire (1336–1646 CE) was an Indian Hindu empire. From 1336 and afterwards, it was in the Deccan, in the peninsula and in southern India. It was founded by Harihara (Hakka) and his brother Bukka Raya. The empire is named after its capital city Vijayanagara, now Hampi in modern Karnataka, India. It began in 1336 and ended in 1660, though in its last century it began losing its power. Stories of the empire's creation and history are not certain, though tales of the empire's wealth and power were described by European travellers such as the Portuguese travelers Domingo Paes and Nuniz, and the Venetian traveler Niccolò Da Conti.
|Capital||Vijayanagara (1336–1565) Vellore (1604–1646)|
• Earliest records
|Today part of||India|
Dynasties and kings change
This list is based on the book by Robert Sewell (A Forgotten Empire).
- Harihara I (Deva Raya) 1336-1343/56(some accounts claim that there was brief period of other ruler probably a 3rd brother)
- Bukka I 1343/56-1379
- Harihara II 1379-1399
- Bukka II 1399-1406
- Deva Raya I 1406-1412
- Vira Vijaya 1412-1419
- Deva Raya II 1419-1444
- (unknown) 1444-1449
- Mallikarjuna 1452-1465 (Dates uncertain)
- Rajasekhara 1468-1469 (Dates uncertain)
- Virupaksha I 1470-1471 (Dates uncertain)
- Praudha Deva Raya 1476-? (Dates uncertain)
- Rajasekhara 1479-1480 (Dates uncertain)
- Virupaksha II 1483-1484 (Dates uncertain)
- Rajasekhara 1486-1487 (Dates uncertain)
- Narasimha 1490-?
- Narasa (Vira Narasimha) ?-1509
- Krishna Deva 1509-1529
- Achyuta 1529-1542
- Sadasiva (puppet ruler in the hands of Ram Raya) 1542-1567
- Rama (ruled in practice) 1542-1565
- Tirumala (ruled in practice) 1565-1567
- Tirumala (crowned ruler) 1567-1575
- Ranga II 1575-1586
- Venkata I 1586-1614
Aravidu (dates are not known), includes these rulers. There is certainly more than one ruler under each name.
Other websites change
- History of Karnataka - Mr. Arthikaje
- Indian Inscriptions - Archeological Survery Of India
- A Forgotten Empire: Vijayanagar: A Contribution to the History of India
- http://freeindia.org/biographies/greatlkings/hakkabukka/index.htm(Biography of Hakka and Bukka.) Archived 2008-12-31 at the Wayback Machine
- Vijayanagar Empire, Dr. Jyotsna Kamat
- Hampi - History and Tourism
- Schwartzberg, Joseph E. (1978). A Historical atlas of South Asia. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. p. 147, map XIV.l. ISBN 0226742210.
- Howes, Jennifer (1998). The Courts of Pre-colonial South India: Material Culture and Kingship. Psychology Press. p. 43. ISBN 978-07-0071-585-5.
- Bridges, Elizabeth J. (2016). "Vijayanagara Empire". In Dalziel, N.; MacKenzie, J. M. (eds.). The Encyclopedia of Empire. pp. 1–5. doi:10.1002/9781118455074.wbeoe424. ISBN 978-1118455074.