Welcome to Sky Valley
|Welcome to Sky Valley|
|Studio album by|
|Released||June 28, 1994|
|Studio||Sound City (Van Nuys, Los Angeles)|
Background and compositionEdit
Welcome to Sky Valley was recorded in early 1993 and was first meant to be released in January 1994. Because their last album did fairly well, they moved to the main record label Chameleon from the smaller label "Dali". In November 1993, Chameleon suddenly shut down. Elektra then quickly signed the banned and planned to release Welcome to Sky Valley in March 1994. The release was then slowed down even more and the album wasn't released until June 1994.
The album has been called stoner rock, stoner metal, and desert rock. The album was the first Kyuss album to have bassist Scott Reeder playing on it. He replaced Nick Oliveri in 1992. It was also the last with Brant Bjork playing on it.
Welcome to Sky Valley is named after the place in California of the same name. The album cover shows a welcome sign in Sky Valley next to a road that says the album's name, "Welcome to Sky Valley". The photograph was taken at dusk and the road is dark with a purple sky behind.
|1.||"Gardenia" (Brant Bjork)||6:54|
|3.||"Supa Scoopa and Mighty Scoop"||6:04|
|5.||"Space Cadet" (Homme, Scott Reeder)||7:02|
|9.||"N.O." (Reeder, Mario Lalli; originally performed by Across the River)||3:47|
Credits taken from the album's liner notes.
- "Robert Christgau: CG: Kyuss". www.robertchristgau.com. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- Morris, Chris (January 15, 1994). "Kyuss Lands on Its Feet and Keeps Climbing". Billboard.
- Ritchie, Matthew (August 21, 2017). "An Essential Guide to Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme". Exclaim!. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- "The 40 Greatest Stoner Albums: Kyuss, 'Welcome to Sky Valley'". Rolling Stone.
- Prato, Greg. "Normadic Pursuits - Yawning Man". Allmusic. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Welcome to Sky Valley (LP label). Kyuss. Beverly Hills, California: Elektra Records. 1994. 7559-61571-1.CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) (link)
- Welcome to Sky Valley (CD liner ontes). Kyuss. Beverly Hills, California: Elektra Records. 1994. 61571-2.CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) (link)