name of an epoch or era within a four age cycle
- This article is about the Yugas in Hinduism. For the Indian meditation excercise, go to Yoga.
- Satya Yuga (also called Krita Yuga) is the first age, which lasts for 1,728,000 years. It is "the age of truth" or "Golden Age", when all humans are good and very religious. They are ruled by gods and live for many centuries.
- Treta Yuga is the second age, which lasts for 1,296,000 years. During the last Treta Yuga, god Vishnu's avatars Vamana, Parashurama, and Ramachandra were born. The Indian epic legend Ramayana is set in that period.
- Dvapara Yuga is the third age, which lasts for 864,000 years, when humans are still religious but their lives are much shorter. The last Dvapara Yuga ended with the death of Krishna and Mahabharata is set in its final years.
- Kali Yuga is the fourth and final age, which lasts for 432,000 years. It is the "dark age" when humans lose their spirituality and are abandoned by gods. Hindus believe that we currently live in a Kali Yuga.