18th century BC
The 18th century BCE was the century which lasted from 1800 BCE to 1701 BCE.
|Millennium:||2nd millennium BC|
|Centuries:||19th century BC · 18th century BC · 17th century BC|
|Decades:||1790s BC 1780s BC 1770s BC 1760s BC 1750s BC|
1740s BC 1730s BC 1720s BC 1710s BC 1700s BC
|Categories:||Births – Deaths |
Establishments – Disestablishments
- 1800 BCE: Iron Age in India
- 1800 BCE: Beginning of the Nordic Bronze Age in the period system devised by Oscar Montelius.
- 1800 BCE – 1300 BCE: Troy VI flourishes.
- c. 1800 BCE: Sedentary Mayan communities in Mesoamerica
- c. 1800 BCE: Hyksos start to settle in the Nile Delta. The capital was at Avaris.
- c. 1792 BCE – 1750 BCE: (middle chronology) – Hammurabi rules Babylonia and has to deal with Mari.
- c. 1792 BCE – 1750 BCE: (middle chronology) – Stela of Hammurabi, from Susa (modern Shush, Iran) is made. It is now in Musée du Louvre, Paris.
- 1787 BCE – 1784 BCE: Amorite conquests of Uruk and Isin.
- 1786 BCE: Egypt: Queen Sobekneferu dies. End of Twelfth Dynasty, start of Thirteenth Dynasty, start of Fourteenth Dynasty.
- 1779 BCE: Zimrilim, the King of Mari, starts to rule.
- 1770 BCE: Babylon, capital of Babylonia becomes the largest city of the world, taking the lead from Thebes, capital of Egypt.
- 1766 BCE: Shang conquest of Xia Dynasty. China.
- 1764 BCE – 1750 BCE: Wars of Hammurabi.
- 1757 BCE: Mari sacked by Hammurabi. Zimrilim's palace is destroyed.
- 1757 BCE: Zimrilim, the King of Mari, dies.
- 1750 BCE: Hyksos occupation of Northern Egypt.
- 1750 BCE: A large volcano eruption at Mount Veniaminof, Alaska.
- c. 1750 BCE: Nomadic shepherds, the Aryans, enter India from Central Asia and the Russian steppes.
- c. 1750 BCE: Vedic period starts in India.
- c. 1750 BCE: Investiture of Zimrilim (Zimiri-Lim, King of Mari, before the Goddess Ishtar), a wall painting on mud plaster from the Zimrilim palace at Mari (modern Tell Hariri, Iraq), Court 106, is made. It is now in Musée du Louvre, Paris.
- 1749 BCE – 1712 BCE: Mesopotamian Rebellions.
- Early Unetice culture, beginning of the Bronze Age in Central Europe.
- Minoan civilization: phase II of the Middle period (MM II).
- c. 1700 BC: The last species of mammoth became extinct on Wrangel Island.
- c. 1700 BC: Indus Valley Civilization comes to an end but is continued by the Cemetery H culture
- c. 1700 BC: Minoan Old Palace period ends and Minoan Second Palace (Neopalatial) period starts in Crete.
- c. 1700 BC: Aegean metalworkers are producing decorative objects that may be better than Ancient Near East jewelers, whose techniques they seem to borrow.
- c. 1700 BC: Lila-Ir-Tash started to rule the Elamite Empire.
- c. 1700 BC: Bronze Age starts in China.
- c. 1700 BC: Shang Dynasty starts in China.
- 1800 BCE – 1700 BCE: Decline of the Indus Valley Civilization