The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand. (January 2021)
Barrackpore (also known as Barrackpur) is a city. It is located in the West Bengal state of India. It is around 23 kilometres (14 mi) away from Kolkata . It is also a part of the zone covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority ( KMDA ). It is the headquarters of the Barrackpore subdivision.
|District||North 24 Parganas|
|• Body||Barrackpore Municipality|
|• Chairman||Uttam Das, (AITC)|
|• MP||Arjun Singh, (BJP)|
|• MLA||Shilbhadra Dutta, (BJP)|
|• Police Commissioner||Ajay Nanda, IPS|
|• Deputy Commissioner of Police||Ajay Kumar Thakur, IPS|
|• Total||10.61 km2 (4.10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|• Density||14,000/km2 (37,000/sq mi)|
|• Additional official||English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
700120, 700121, 700122, 700123
|Telephone code||+91 33|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Barrackpore|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Barrackpore|
|Police Jurisdiction||Barrackpore Police Commissionerate|
The name Barrackpore may have originated from the English word barracks. This is considering it was the site of the first cantonment of the British East India Company. Alternatively, the Ain-i-Akbari suggests that the name comes from "Barbakpur". Manasa Vijay, written by Bipradas Pipilai, refers to Barrackpore as "Chanak".
- Official District Administration site Archived 15 January 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "52nd REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER FOR LINGUISTIC MINORITIES IN INDIA" (PDF). Nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. p. 85. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- "Fact and Figures". Wb.gov.in. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Barrackpur.|
Media related to Barrackpore at Wikimedia Commons
- Kolkata/Northern fringes travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Barrackpore travel guide from Wikivoyage