Battle of Uhud
The Battle of Uhud (Arabic: غزوة أحد) was fought on 23 March 625 (3 Shawwal 3 AH of the Islamic calendar) at Mount Uhud, in what is now north-western Saudi Arabia. It occurred between a force from the Muslim community of Medina led by Muhammad, and a force led by Abu Sufyan from Mecca, the town from which many of the Muslims had previously emigrated (hijra). The Battle of Uhud was the second military encounter between the Meccans and the Muslims, after the Battle of Badr in 624, where a small Muslim army had defeated the larger Meccan army.
|Battle of Uhud|
|Part of the Muslim-Quraysh Wars|
|Commanders and leaders|
Hamza ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib †
Khalid ibn al-Walid
Ikrimah ibn Abi-Jahl
2-4 cavalry ,50 Archers
200 cavalry3000 Camels
|Casualties and losses|
For the Muslims, the battle was a big setback.
Muhammad had preached the religion of Islam in Mecca from 613 to 622. He had attracted a small community of followers, but also had opposition from the rest of the Quraysh, the clan that ruled Mecca and to which he belonged. The Muslims fled Mecca in 622 after years of persecution and established themselves at Medina (formerly known as Yathrib). They considered themselves to be in a state of war with Mecca and raided Meccan caravans that had Muslim belongings left in Mecca. The Meccans sent out a small army to punish the Muslims and stop their raiding. At the Battle of Badr in 624, a small Muslim force had defeated the much larger Meccan army.
Quraysh soldiers met the Muslims at Uhud. The Muslims got attacked from behind and lost the battle.
- Books and journals
- Firestone, Rueven (1999). Jihad: The Origin of Holy War in Islam. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-512580-0.
- I. Ishaq and A. Guillaume (October 2002). The Life of Muhammad. Oxford University Press, USA; New Impression edition. ISBN 0-19-636033-1.
- Nafziger, George F.; Walton, Mark W. (2003). Islam at War: a history. Westport, CT: Praeger. ISBN 0-275-98101-0.
- Peters, F.E (1994). Muhammad and the Origins of Islam. Albany: SUNY Press. ISBN 0-7914-1875-8.
- Watt, M Montgomery (1964). Muhammad: Prophet and Statesman. United Kingdom: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-881078-4.
- Watt, M Montgomery (1981). Muhammad at Medina. Oxford Univ Pr; New Ed edition. ISBN 0-19-577307-1.
- Robinson, C. F. "Uhud". In P.J. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel and W.P. Heinrichs (ed.). Encyclopaedia of Islam Online. Brill Academic Publishers. ISSN 1573-3912.CS1 maint: multiple names: editors list (link)
- Watt (1964) p. 136
- Peters (1994). pp. 211—214.
- Watt (1964). pp. 142—143.
- The battle of Uhud
- What were the reasons of the battle of Uhud?
- http://www.sunnahonline.com/ilm/audio/yasir_index.htm Archived 2006-05-12 at the Wayback Machine
| Life of Muhammad
Year: 625 CE