Bop It is a series of toys made by Hasbro  They are audio games. The aim of the game is to respond quickly to the commands that are produced through the game's speakers. There are several responses, including pull handles, twisting cranks, spin-able wheels, toggle switches. Each command requires a different response. A beat is played during the game and the beat will get faster as the player scores more points. Bop It has been very popular as a children's game. Since 2008 when Hasbro re-made the toy, the voice in the games has been Buddy Rubino. He has recorded the voice for Bop It!, Bop It! XT, Bop It! Smash!, Bop It! Tetris and Bop It! New Moves.
The game was designed by Dan Klistner. The design was developed by several Hasbro designers, including Bob Welch. There have been several versions. The original version was released in 1996. The current classic version was released in 2016 to mark the 20th anniversary of Bop It. It was demonstrated at the New York Toy Fair in 2016 before the game was released in June 2016. It is called Bop It New Moves and it has a copyright info of 2015 on the back of the game. One exciting new things that new Bop It game enthusiasts online have discovered about the Bop It was that it can detect when the batteries need replacing. When one of the three batteries are running low, Buddy Rubino will say "My batteries are running low." and will talk slower towards the end of the audio file and automatically shut off the game as a prompt for the user to change the batteries.
To ensure that the Bop It game is working correctly, Hasbro adds a hidden mode into the electronic unit which allows the manufacturer to test the speaker and the moving parts of the game. Each moving part has a button inside the electronic unit that when multiple buttons are pressed and the game unit's power is reset, the game will enter it's manufacturer test mode and play sounds in a certain order. Newer versions of Bop It will produce a loud beep before playing sounds.
- Re-Release Series (Featuring Buddy Rubino as the Main Voice for Bop It, Twist It Pull It Games) (2008+)
- Bop It! Shout ( made in 2008 - released in 2009)
- Bop It! Bounce (made in 2009 - released in 2010)
- Bop It! XT (Made in 2010 - released in 2011)
- Bop It! Smash (2012)
- Bop It! Tetris (2013)
- Bop It! Beats (2014)
- Bop It! Micro (2014)
- Bop It! R2D2 (2015)
- Bop It! with 10 New Moves (Made in 2015 - released in (2016)
- Bop It! BB8 (2016)
- Bop It Maker (2017)
- Bop It Classic (2019)
- Original Series (1996-2006)
Zing It is a yo-yo version of Bop It. It tells commands that the player must follow along with. Like the original Bop It, there are three commands that may be said: "Bop it!" (requiring the player to press the purple button), "Zing it!" (requiring the player to drop the yo-yo downward and send it back up again), and "Loop it!" (requiring the player to do the "'round the world" yo-yo trick). Zing It has 3 modes: "Vox Bop" (as with Bop It), "Beat Bop" (again, as with Bop It), and "Vox Bop Challenge" (where the game will tell a series of commands which must be done in correctly). As with Bop It and Bop It Extreme, Zing It announces the score musically by sound effects. Different tones represent different point values. There is a maximum score of 250.
In 2009, EA Games made a video game called Hasbro Family Games Night 2. It had Bop It as one of the games that could be played. It is available for the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo Wii. In 2011, EA Games made an iPhone application which played exactly like the handheld game. It has the same commands from the handheld games and added extra commands which were never invented on the handheld game.
- Bop It! [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro. 1997.
- Orbanes, Philip. The Game Makers: The Story of Parker Brothers From Tiddledy Winks to Trivial Pursuit. Harvard Business School Press. p.iv. 2004.
- Szymanski, Marianne. "The Use of Focus Groups in Toy Testing", Advertising & Marketing to Children. Vol.1. No.2. Winthrop Publications. p.162. 25 May 1999.
- Buddy Rubino (13 January 2013). "IAmA Voice Actor: George Fortnum. Voice of Bop It!, characters in the Borderlands video game (Robot Revolution) and hundreds of radio and TV commercials. AMAA!". Best of AMA.
- , US 6086478
- , US 6210278
- "Wayback Machine". web.archive.org. 27 October 2009.
- "Bop It! 2016 is more complicated than you remember". Engadget. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Bop It! Bounce [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro 2009.
- Bop It! XT [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro. 2010.
- Oxox, Clairejustine (August 2014). "Bop It Beats Game Review". Retrieved 20/02/2016. Check date values in:
- Seppala, Timothy (15/02/2016). "Bop It 2016 Is More Complicated Than You Can Remember". Engadget. Retrieved 20/02/2016. Check date values in:
- "Bop It! Maker edition will get your creative juices flowing". Engadget. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Smyths Toys Superstores (2019-07-24), Bop It!- Smyths Toys, retrieved 2019-07-27
- "Bop It Extreme Rules and Instructions" (PDF).
- "Bop It Extreme 2 rules and instructions" (PDF).
- Bratz Bop It Instructions. Hasbro. 2004.
- Bop It Blast Game Instructions. Hasbro. 2005.
- Hasbro Family Game Night 2 Wii. IGN. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Bop It iPhone App".