Bouvet Island (Norwegian: Bouvetøya, also historically known as Liverpool Island or Lindsay Island) is an island in the southern part of the Atlantic Ocean. It is in the sub-antarctic areas, 2500 km (1500 miles) south-southwest of the Cape of Good Hope (South Africa).
|Native name: |
|Area||49 km2 (19 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||780 m (2560 ft)|
It belongs to Norway and is not subject to the Antarctic Treaty (which says that land south of 60°S, including Antarctica, does not belong to any country). It is the most remote island in the world, which means that is farther from other land than any other island on Earth. The closest piece of land to the island is Queen Maud Land in Antarctica, which is more than 1600 km (994 miles) away. Nobody lives there, and there are rarely any visitors.
The island is volcanic and has high cliffs on all sides (created by high waves over thousands of years). Because of these cliffs, people usually only go to the island by flying in a helicopter. 90% of its area is covered by glaciers (ice).
Climate, plants and animal lifeEdit
The climate is cold and does not change much, with an average of +1 °C in the warmest month, and −3 °C in the coldest.
- Bouvet Island is the setting of the 2004 movie Alien vs. Predator, where it is called by its Norwegian name "Bouvetøya".
- "Bouvet Island" at CIA World Factbook Archived 2010-10-08 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 2013-4-19.
- "Global Volcanism Program - Volcanoes of the World - Volcanoes of the Atlantic Ocean - Volcanology Highlights". volcano.si.edu. Retrieved November 25, 2010.
- "Most Remote Places in the World - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com". associatedcontent.com. Archived from the original on November 18, 2011. Retrieved November 25, 2010.
- "NASA - Bouvet Island, South Atlantic Ocean". nasa.gov. Retrieved November 25, 2010.
- "Bouvetøya". Norsk Polarinstitutt.
- "The Unofficial Bouvet Island Pages". phys.ucalgary.ca. Retrieved November 25, 2010.[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bouvet Island.|