language considered as derived from another (parent)
A daughter language is a language that descended from another language, which usually happens over a long period of time.
- Italian is a daughter language of Latin, which is a daughter language of Proto-Indo-European.
- English is a daughter language of West Germanic, which is a daughter language of Proto-Indo-European.
- Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish are daughter languages of Old Norse, which was a daughter language of Proto-Norse.
- Hindi and Urdu are daughter languages of Hindustani, which was the official language of British India until India gained independence. After Pakistan split apart from India, the language became two different languages, Urdu and Hindi.
- Dungan is a daughter language of Mandarin Chinese (Gansu and Shaanxi dialects), which is a daughter language of Proto-Sino-Tibetan.
- "Dungan people explained". everything.explained.today. Retrieved 2019-03-04.