Dexter's Laboratory (commonly abbreviated as Dexter's Lab) is an American science fiction animated television series. It was created by Genndy Tartakovsky for the Cartoon Network, as the first Cartoon Cartoon. The series was broadcast from 1996 to 2003. The series takes place in the fictional city of Genius Grove, California, and follows a red-haired boy named Dexter who had a secret laboratory filled with large number of his inventions. His inventions are normally destroyed by his older sister, Dee Dee. This causes Dexter to have to recreate his inventions. The series was followed by a Spin-off and related media. There has also been a Spin-off series titled The Beau Montgomery Show premiered on September 17, 1999 to November 7, 2003, a feature movie, Dexter's Laboratory: Ego Trip (1999), and also an upcoming reboot, of the same name, in late 2024.
|Created by||Genndy Tartakovsky|
|Theme music composer|
|Opening theme||"Dexter's Laboratory (Main Title)"|
|Ending theme||"Dexter's Laboratory (End Title)"[a]|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||99 (254 segments) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original network||Cartoon Network|
|Original release||April 27, 1996 –|
November 20, 2003
|Related shows||What a Cartoon!|
- Dexter McPherson is a red-haired genius. He works on inventions in his top-secret laboratory. His inventions help himself or the world. Dexter's inventions are usually smashed by his sister, Dee Dee. Dexter also keeps his lab a secret from his clueless parents. Dexter is motivated and inspired by Albert Einstein and other geniuses. Dexter has glasses, red hair, a lab coat and gloves and boots. He has his own lab pet monkey named Monkey (voiced by Frank Welker). The character was voiced by Christine Cavanaugh and Candi Milo.
- Dee Dee McPherson is Dexter's sister. She is a tall blonde-haired girl. Dee Dee is high-spirited but not as smart as Dexter. She dances around Dexter's lab. Dee Dee usually plays around with Dexter and crushes his inventions. Dee Dee is interested in ballet and unicorns. She wears a short pink skirt and ballet shoes. Dee Dee is voiced by Allison Moore and Kat Cressida.
- Dexter and Dee Dee's mother (Mom) is a loving but clueless red-haired woman who is unaware of Dexter's secret laboratory. She is a stereotypical mother, a mysophobe with OCD who has trouble being around the rest of the family without her rubber gloves. Dexter and Dee Dee's mother (Mom) is voiced by Kath Soucie.
- Dexter and Dee Dee's father (Dad) is a workaholic but also clueless blonde-haired man who is unaware of Dexter's secret laboratory. He is a stereotypical father, he loves bowling, golf, fishing, working in an office and has an unnatural affinity for his wife's muffins. Dexter and Dee Dee's father (Dad) is voiced by Jeff Bennett.
- Mandark Astronomonov is Dexter's black-haired arch-nemesis and rival. He is a brilliant scientist and fellow classmate who is always trying to one-up Dexter. He is also a very cruel and sadistic person who enjoys making Dexter's life miserable. Mandark has a large head and a small body, and he wears a red and black outfit. He is voiced by Eddie Deezen.
- Beau Montgomery is Dee Dee's love interest and crush. He is a kind and gentle boy who is always there for Dee Dee. He is also very intelligent and creative. Beau is interested in science and Albert Einstein. He is of half Scottish descent from his paternal side, one quarter French descent and one quarter Italian descent from his maternal side. He is of Caucasian heritage. Beau is a talented artist, lead singer and musician of pop rock band The Beaumonts, and he enjoys studying science, playing video games, watching movies, and reading comics. He is best friends with Dexter, and the two of them often work together to solve problems. Beau is a loyal friend and always has Dexter's back. He has his own stereotypical parents (voiced by Kath Soucie and Maurice LaMarche) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada and his grandfather (voiced by Brian Cox) is from Edinburgh, Scotland. He has his own three pets, including a two Siberian Husky dogs named Sparky and Shadow and a Persian cat named Mittens (were voiced by Frank Welker). He is voiced by Pamela Adlon and his singing voice was provided by teen singer Justin Sterling.
Critical reception change
The series was one of Cartoon Network president Betty Cohen's favorite animated programs. In an August 2002 Billboard interview, rapper Coolio said that he is a fan of the series. He states, "I watch a lot of cartoons because I have kids. I actually watch more cartoons than movies."
Upcoming reboot series change
The series was called Dexter's Laboratory reboot of the 1996 series, and developed by Nico Colaleo, Daisy Schofield and Alicia Chan, produced by Cartoon Network Studios and animated by Sunmin Image Pictures in South Korea, planned in early 2020, during production and resolved in 2023 rewrote and foward to 2024, this parodic version of the original show as a straightfoward light-hearted nature of the original show, similar of the 2016 The Powerpuff Girls.
- Furman, Phyllis (November 8, 1999). "Cartoon Network on Rise Popular Shows Put Nick in Rival's Edge". Daily News. New York. Archived from the original on September 13, 2018. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- Hay, Carla (August 3, 2002). "TV Themes and 'Dexter'". Billboard. Vol. 114, no. 31. p. 12. ISSN 0006-2510. Archived from the original on September 29, 2021. Retrieved May 26, 2012.