East Japan Railway Company
The East Japan Railway Company (Japanese: JR東日本) or the JR East is a major passenger railway company in Japan and is the biggest of the seven Japan Railways Group companies. The company's headquarters are in Yoyogi,[note 1] Shibuya, Tokyo. It is listed in the Tokyo Stock Exchange.[note 2]
|Higashi-Nihon Ryokaku Tetsudō kabushiki gaisha|
lit. "East Japan Passenger Railway Share Company"
|Predecessor||Japanese National Railways (JNR)|
|Founded||1 April 1987 (privatization of JNR)|
|Kanto and Tōhoku regions|
Niigata, Nagano, Yamanashi and Shizuoka prefectures
|Tetsuro Tomita (Chairman of the Board)|
Masaki Ogata (Vice Chairman of the Board)
Yuji Fukasawa (President, Representative Director)
|Products||Suica (a rechargeable contactless smart card)|
|Services||Passenger railways |
other related services
|Owner||JTSB investment trusts (8.21%)|
Mizuho Bank (4.07%)
TMTBJ investment trusts (3.97%)
MUFG Bank (2.75%)
Repurchased shares (2.67%)
(as of 30 September 2018)
Number of employees
|73,017 (as of 31 March 2013)|
|Divisions||Railway operations |
IT & Suica business
including Tokyo Monorail and J-TREC
|Footnotes / references|
|East Japan Railway Company|
|National railway||Japan Railways Group|
|Infrastructure company||Japan Railway Construction, Transport and Technology Agency|
|Ridership||6.169 billion per year|
|Passenger km||130.5 billion per year|
|Total||7,526.8 km (4,676.9 mi)|
|Double track||3,668 km (2,279 mi) (49%)|
|Electrified||5,512.7 km (3,425.4 mi) (73.2%)|
|High-speed||1,052.9 km (654.2 mi) (14.0%)|
|Main||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|High-speed||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Main||1,500 V DC overhead catenary 2,680.3 km (1,665.5 mi)|
|20 kV AC, 50 Hz||1,779.5 km (1,105.7 mi) |
Conventional lines in Tohoku
Joban Line (Fujishiro-Iwanuma)
|25 kV AC, 50/60 Hz overhead||1,052.9 km (654.2 mi) |
Tohoku Shinkansen (50 Hz)
Joetsu Shinkansen (50 Hz)
Hokuriku Shinkansen (50/60 Hz)
|Tunnel length||882 km (548 mi)|
|Longest tunnel||The Seikan Tunnel 53,850 m (176,670 ft) |
|Longest bridge||No.1 Kitakami River Bridge 3,868 m (12,690 ft) |
- East Japan Railway Company. "JR East 2013 Annual Business Report (Japanese)" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- East Japan Railway Company. "Financial Highlights - East Japan Railway Company and Subsidiaries" (PDF). Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- East Japan Railway Company. "Organization". Retrieved 20 June 2009.
- East Japan Railway Company. グループ会社一覧 (in Japanese). Retrieved 20 June 2009.
- East Japan Railway Company. 会社要覧2008 (PDF) (in Japanese). Retrieved 20 June 2009.
- East Japan Railway Company. "Consolidated Results of Fiscal 2011 (Year Ended 31 March 2011)" (PDF). Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- East Japan Railway Company. "JR East 2012 Annual Report" (PDF). Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- Yoyogi Station is the next station of Shinjuku Station.
- It is also listed on the TOPIX Core30 index and the Nikkei 225 index.