First Empire of Haiti
The First Empire of Haiti (French: Empire d'Haïti), officially Empire of Haiti (Haitian Creole: Anpi an Ayiti), was an Elective Monarchy on the current Island of Hispaniola, after the Independence of Haiti on January 1, 1804 by Jean-Jacques Dessalines, the Empire would be founded until September 24, 1804, and would be crowned as Jacques I of Haiti on October 6 of that same year, he would be assassinated on October 17, 1806 and the Empire would be dissolved to give way to the State and Republic of Haiti, it is not related to the Second Empire of Haiti by Faustin Soulouque.
Empire of Haiti
French: Empire d'Haïti
Haitian Creole: Anpi an Ayiti
|Motto: Liberté ou la Mort! (French) |
"Liberty or Death!"
|Historical era||19th century|
|1 January 1804|
• Proclamation of Jean-Jacques Dessalines as Emperor Jacques I
|22 September 1804|
• Assassination of Emperor Jacques I
|17 October 1806|
|ISO 3166 code||HT|
|Today part of||Dominican Republic|
- "Haiti: 1805 Constitution". faculty.webster.edu. Retrieved February 3, 2021.
- Stieber, Chelsea (August 18, 2020). Haiti's Paper War: Post-Independence Writing, Civil War, and the Making of the Republic, 1804–1954. NYU Press. ISBN 978-1-4798-0215-9.
- The Augustan Society Omnibus. The Society. 1986.
- "Jean-Jacques Dessalines – Death, Facts & Life – Biography". www.biography.com. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- "Haiti: 1805 Constitution". faculty.webster.edu. Retrieved 11 September 2016.