Franz Joseph I of Austria
Emperor Franz Joseph I or Emperor Francis Joseph I (German: Franz Joseph, Hungarian: Ferenc József, English: Francis Joseph) (Slovene : Franc Jozef Karel) (Croatian : Franjo Josip Karlo) (Czech : Frantisek Josef Karel) (Romanian : Francisc Iosif Carol) (August 18, 1830 – November 21, 1916) of the Habsburg Dynasty was Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary, King of Bohemia from 1848 until 1916 and also served as President of the German Confederation from 1850-1866.
|Franz Joseph I|
|Emperor of Austria, Apostolic King of Hungary, King of Bohemia, etc.|
|Reign||2 December, 1848–21 November, 1916|
|Born||18 August 1830|
Schönbrunn Palace Vienna
|Died||21 November 1916 (aged 86)|
|Spouse||Duchess Elisabeth of Bavaria|
|Issue||Archduchess Sophie |
Crown Prince Rudolf
|Father||Archduke Franz Karl|
|Mother||Princess Sophie of Bavaria|
His nephew Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria would have been his successor but he was assassinated. Wars during the reign of Franz Joseph included the Second Italian War Of Independence (1859), the Austro-Prussian War (1866), the Third Italian War Of Independence (1866) and the 1899-1901 Boxer Rebellion. He died during World War 1. Charles I of Austria became emperor in 1916 and reigned from 1916-1918.
- Archduchess Sophie of Austria; 5 March 1855 – 29 May 1857.
- Archduchess Gisela of Austria; 12 July 1856 – 27 July 1932. Married Prince Leopold of Bavaria (second cousin) in 1873; had issue.
- Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria; 21 August 1858 – 30 January 1889. Married Princess Stephanie of Belgium in 1881; had issue. Died in a murder–suicide.
- Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria; 22 April 1868 – 6 September 1924. Married Archduke Franz Salvator, Prince of Tuscany (second cousin) in 1890; had issue
|Ancestors of Franz Joseph I of Austria|
- Wurzbach, Constantin, von, ed. (1860). "Habsburg, Franz Karl Joseph" (in German). Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich. 6. Wikisource
- Wurzbach, Constantin, von, ed. (1861). "Habsburg, Sophie (geb. 27. Jänner 1805)" (in German). Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich. 7. Wikisource
- Wurzbach, Constantin, von, ed. (1860). "Habsburg, Franz I." (in German). Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich. 6. Wikisource
- Wurzbach, Constantin, von, ed. (1861). "Habsburg, Maria Theresia von Neapel" (in German). Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich. 7. Wikisource
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 94.
- "Maximilian I. Joseph → Karoline Friederike Wilhelmine von Baden". Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte [House of Bavarian History] (in German). Bavarian Ministry of State for Wissenschaft and Kunst. Retrieved 13 June 2020.